Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Big Fly Swap?

Default Big Fly Swap?

Hey Guys,
    I posted a link on the bulla board about maybe doing a big fly swap.
    Thought maybe we could make this one a multi-board swap.
    I know Dean aka flyjunkie from our parts expressed some interest.
    Thought it could be fun to tye some flies in the 3/0 to 6/0 range.
    Let me know if there is any interest as I have some 6/0 hooks burning a hole in my pocket and time on my hands.
    -Paul

Default Big Flies....????

Hi Paul,.... Count me in for this swap. Haven't decided what pattern, yet. Are double hooked patterns OK I'll check in on Bulla's board for additionl info, too.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Hey Darian,
    Tandem patterns are fine. That's what Dean will be tying.
    I'll put you on the list and post a copy of it over here later today.
    I haven't been online much lately. Took a pounding yesterday going to catalina again. Like skiing double black diamond moguls for an hour and a half each way. Bonita are everywhere and coming closer to shore.
    The party boats are decimating the populations though
    -Paul

The current list of tyers is:
    Darian from Kiene's: TBD tandem pattern
    David from Kiene's: Surprise pattern
    Dean: A tandem "Freaky Eye" Fly
    Brad: Some 3/0 Tres Generations
    Myself: Something TBD in 6/0. Going to mess around with patterns and materials and pick the best.

BTW. Thanks to Darian for his recommendation on the Innovative Saltwater Flies book. Definitely a great reference on different pattern techniques.

Still room for a couple more tyers...
    -Paul

Default Bonito!!!

Hi Paul,.... Saw your post about the why of keeping 40 Bonito.... I certainly agree. They aren't the best eating fish I ever encountered. Great fighters, tho. Maybe party boat captains feel they have to give their customers something for their dollars.... When Bonito finally go the way of the Sardines in SoCal did, for forty years, people will take better care of the resource (altho, I doubt it....).

I'm lookin' to tie a sailfish pattern for the swap. The only debate is to popper to not to popper....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Guess I forgot to post the due date. Halloween. Plenty of time for tying/experimentation. Doubt anyone has a trip before then.

Hey Darian,
    No kidding on the bonita. Talking with the lady counting fish from incoming boats at the dock was a bummer. She mentioned one guy had a bunch of yellowtail from one party boat. She asked why he needed to take that many fish. His answer? Because I can.
    Bummer for the fishery. And we have misguided things like MLPA on the way. Yahoo!
    Reduce limits, conserve, don't make things offlimits.
    -Paul

Quote Originally Posted by PaulC
    Talking with the lady counting fish from incoming boats at the dock was a bummer. She mentioned one guy had a bunch of yellowtail from one party boat. She asked why he needed to take that many fish. His answer? Because I can.
    What a shithead .

David (sorry .......)

Quote Originally Posted by David Lee
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulC
    Talking with the lady counting fish from incoming boats at the dock was a bummer. She mentioned one guy had a bunch of yellowtail from one party boat. She asked why he needed to take that many fish. His answer? Because I can.
    What a shithead .

David (sorry .......)

My thoughts Exactly DAVE... That Sh*thead will continue to Kill his Limit Every time he's out...then when the Fishery isn't red Hot anymore, He'll be the first to Complain about it....

"Limit Your Kill, Don't Kill Your Limit"

(the scary thing is those Folks can't put 2 & 2 together to realize they are a part of the Problem..)

Yeah He's a Sh*thead Alright....

DEAN ~ ~~
    "..Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride..." ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Default Bag Limits....

Hmmmm,.... Perhaps we aren't giving enough credit to the organization that is REALLY responsible for the sentiment behind the statement, "because I can". Looking beyond the obvious implications of that statement, that individual was not doing anything illegal. Therein lies the problem. Bag limits are very liberal; considering the state of our fisheries. Just speculation but, maybe limits should be based on/set at what is reasonable for a person to take and use in a given period of time....(???) Lots of imponderables here but this dialogue needs to happen.

CA DFG has the power to recommend/set limits thru the regulatory process. As Paul points out, we need to limit our kill to conserve the resource. They (DFG) really haven't done much to update limits for ocean fish. The evidence of this is the (alleged) need to establish MLPA's, the need for slot limits for Stripers and other species. Emergency reg's to protect one marine/anadromous species after another. On the opposite point, it's not realistic to assume that zero bag limits are the solution. Besides, I still like to keep a fish for the table on occassion....

As a group, we should be supporting groups that lobby for reduced bag and/or slot limits based on ACTUAL science; not political agendas (witness Cogdills AB-7 in last years state legislative session).

Author unknown

These guys are fighting against it down south.
    http://www.unitedanglers.com/news.php

I would hope there is a group pushing similar tactics up north with pressure for slot limits and reduced bag limits.
    With party boats having 20+ anglers taking, the current limits are a joke.
    -Paul