Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Feather Low-Flow

There is one low flow section as I understand it. It starts at the dam which is above the 70 bridge and extends down to the outlet hole where water dumps in from Thermalito afterbay and raises the flows to the current 3500 cfs. It is the upper portion of this above the 70 bridge that has the closures mentioned, but you can fish the low flow section from the hwy 70 bridge downstream to the outlet hole for steelhead and Salmon now.

FFdoc
    "I am haunted by the waters"

Default Feather River Reg's

Hopefully, this info will resolve some of the confusion:

Art 3., Section 7.50, Item (6, (A) Fish Barrier dam to Table Mountain bicycle bridge....; Closed to fishing all year.

Item (B) Table mountain bicycle bridge to highway 70 bridge; Open season: Jan. 1 thru July 15th.

Item (C) Highway 70 bridge to Sunset Pumps 5 miles downstream of the town of Live Oak; Open season: Jan. 1 thru Last Day in Feb.; Mar. 1 thru July 15th; July 16th thru Sep. 30th; Oct. 1 thru Dec 31st. These periods differ only by the take limits imposed during each.

Item (D) Sunset Pumps downstream to Highway 20.......

I believe "....the green bridge...." (Oro Dam Blvd) referred to in Bill's post is the Hwy 162 bridge which is dwnstream of the Hwy 70 bridge.

For the area beginning below the Hwy 70 bridge at the north end of town and continuing downstream to the pumps below Live Oak. The current limit for Salmon/Steelhead/Trout is 1 hatchery Trout or 1 hatchery Steelhead, 1 Salmon.

On Oct. 1st, Salmon fishing will close in the above area.

Hoe this helps....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Default Low Flow Clarification

Okey you guys, quite guessing if you're at the least unfamiliar with the area. Darian got the right information right out of the book, now it's up to the individual to KNOW where these landmarks are, and, if you haven't been to some of those areas in a while, things have changed.

First off, Bill, the green bridge I think you are remembering has been gone for at least two years. This would have been the old Hwy.162 bridge (which was green metal) which turns in to Oro Dam Blvd. The new bridge is quite nice and much larger and wider and is in the exact same spot as the old green one.

Some of the confusion comes from the fact that there IS another green metal bridge at the hatchery called the Table Mtn. bridge.

The river is closed to all fishing between the Table Mtn.bridge and the diversion dam at the spillway to the hatchery.

Now, lets drop down stream a little to the Hwy.70 bridge. This bridge (and highway) run north and south. It borders Bedrock Park on the west and the newly developed city park on the east. The new park really is beautiful with a new paved launch ramp, docks, playground with water features for the kids, a frizbee course,etc.
    The Hwy. 70 bridge should be everybody's landmark to learn.

Above Hwy.70 the river is open to fishing Jan.1st through July 15th up to the Table Mtn. bridge.
    From July 16th through Dec.31 this same part of the river is closed.

So, using the Hwy.70 bridge as a reference, the entire rest of the river is open to fishing until the next closure on Sept. 30th. And, this closure is ONLY for the take of salmon. You can still fish for steelhead, or trout, or carp, or whatever you want EXCEPT salmon.

Now, for the last clarification, the LOWFLOW is considered the area between the hatchery and the outlet at Thermolito. As someone else already said, the lowflow stays most of the time at around 550-600cfs.

The mainflow which comes out of the same Oroville dam goes in to the AFTERBAY which is a warming basin before it goes back into the main stem again and mixes with the lowflow. The reason behind the warming of the water is for the rice growers. Rice won't grow in cold water.

I hope this helps a few folks better identify where they've been or plan to fish in the future.
    Tony
    www.feather-river-fly.com

Aboslutely cleared everything-thanks to all. I am sooooo embarrased I, inadvertantly, have been the problem. Oh my god, I cannot believe it, the only reason I haven't run away from this thread is the confusion, I hope confusion and not worse, so many other people have.

#1. Are there, technically or not, 2 low-flows?

if "yes" that voids the following...AND I and the rest of the poachers are idiots.

if "no" .....

#2. Why are there so many poachers down there ALL THE TIME, unpunished? It's not like the spot is hidden, it's right in town?

#3. Why do so many different reports continually updated on the Low-Flow section and how the fishing is ? Are all of these shops and web sites that mis-informed?

I don't catch much, don't ever take anything, always fish barbless, break off too much, too long, etc. etc.
    This is all very strange to someone who is hyper diligent in research to fishing locales. I have to admit I am guilty of not checking with the state regs, but going off of on-line AND, more importantly, from the Bay Area to Sac shops for my info. Is everyone this misinformed.
    I don't mean to get out of my wrong-doing, however, I was and have only gone where I thought, multiple resources checked, have ok'd.

I've seen similar threads asking regulation advice on a lot of other boards now and I just want to say that I think a bulletin board is a good place to get fishing advice, but it is definitely not the best way - or daresay even an appropriate way - to get advice on anything legal such as fishing regs.
    The variety of good vs. mis-information in this thread is an excellent argument for never trusting second-hand information when you don't know the accuracy of the source, regardless of the destination.

So, how what's the most reliable way to get fishing regulation information? Get a good map (available online, for example, at topozone.com) consult the regs - also available online as a .pdf - and if it isn't clear to you or make sense, call fish and game and get in touch with the folks that enforce the regs, they will clear it up for you (that is their job!). A trusted source like a knowledgable guide is a good second bet but who better to ask than the folks who make and enforce the regulations? I have done this kind of research for regs in every state I've travelled to fish unfamiliar waters (prior to my trip) and in each case it only took an hour or two max and in every case the folks were very helpful, and in some cases, they gave away some good fishing secrets. All the contact information for fish and game departments for all sates is available online.

My grandpa taught me that a sportsman has the responsbility to be aware of both regulations and private property issues before fishing. He told me that if I wasn't 100% sure of the regs for a location before I went, then I should be asking myself it was the right thing to go fishing there. I think that was pretty good advice. This same ethic is taught for hunter's safety (don't tresspass, don't shoot if you don't know what it is, never hunt where you don't know if the season is open) and I wish a similar class would be at least avaialble - and maybe even required - for folks to get a fishing licenses. Hey a lot of this stuff isn't common sense to some folks and the information in a "fisherman's safety" class would be of good use, I would take it in a heartbeat if it were available.

I agree that a BB isn't always the best palce to get information on the legal aspects, but I think Tony's is a great post that clearly puts DFG's regs in easy tems to read and understand. Great job Tony.

Can any type of boat launch at the new city park?

Tony, stopped by last Wed around 5:30pm to check out your shop and to introduce myself, but I was told you weren't there, then I had to talk to the lady about the new line of boats they are carrying

Andre

Default Days Off

Hi Andre,

Sorry I missed you but I usually guide on M-T-W and work at the shop the rest of the week.

Stop by again and say hi. I'm always glad to meet board members and new faces.

The owners of the shop, Bob and Cherie Boucke,would like me there seven days a week but a guy has to get out on the water once in a while.

Good Fishin' guys,
    TONY