Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feather Low-Flow

Default Feather Low-Flow

Looking for info/ help regarding the Low-Flow section of the Feather.

Went down Sunday to find, SMALL, posted signs reading:

"Fishing closed from Hatchery to Hwy 70, July 16th-December 31st."

Wha??
    Is this new, this year, etc???
    I've never heard of the Low-Flow closing, let alone until the end of the year?

That closure has been in effect for a while, to protect the spawning salmon.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Thanks Adam-
    Really?
    I have fished down there over the last five winters before Dec. 31st?
    Always with crowds??
    Does DFG change the opening?

It always closed from the Hwy 70 bridge to the hatchery. That is a relatively small stretch of water from Oroville upstream.

You can still fish from the Hwy 70 bridge downstream.

Kraig
    "The only time we're guaranteed, is the time we've already had. So make the most of every day!"

Is that the green bridge that Oroville Dam Blvd goes over just above the gravel plant on the low flow?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Bill-
    That's exactly the spot.

I am really spun around on this?
    Not that it excuses my apparent illegal fishing but numerous web sites and message boards continue to report, specifically on the Low-Flow section.

The mentioned sites report other closings, special regs, etc? Even currently there are several that are up to date, stating nothing about the closure. But, reporting fresh kings and steelhead soon, even flies and best times, etc.

At least over the last couple of winters, there are loads of people down there from, even before November. I know that doesn't make it okay, by any means, but again, adds to my confusion.
    Wouldn't the area also be extremely easy to levy fines from. I know understaffed is the way of things but 20 people fishing illegally from the hatchery?
    One phone call from a staffer at the hatchery on a busy Saturday could yield $$$ thousands??
    Really glad I finally the skinny--

I think there is always a fall salmon closure from the green bridge that Oroville Dam blvd goes over above the gravel plant riffle upstream to the hatchery.

I believe the low flow from that bridge downstream and all the high flow(below the Thermalito Outflow) is open year round?

I could be wrong or confused ....again.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Accumulations of confusion.
    Apparently the enforcement and knowledge of the closure isn't wide spread, at least as it should be.

Reports, as current as yesterday:

Feather River Below Oroville

General Conditions: Flows are at 3700 cfs. Low Flow is running 550 cfs, the normal flow for this section. Still a few Steelhead running 3-5 lbs. Good Salmon action.

Fishing & Hatches: Steelhead fishing slowing a little in the low flow section, but Salmon are arriving. Try Elk Hair Caddis in tan and olive colors.

Feather River (below Lake Oroville) Salmon are in the low flow in good numbers. Best fishing is early in the morning and in the evening before dusk. Salmon are sitting in the deeper pools during the warmest part of the day and moving to the riffles and runs early and late in the day. Swinging a brite fly or a polar shrimp on a type 2 sink tip or Skagit line is catching fish. Best to use a 9 or 10 weight rod or a spey rod in the same weight. Look for steelhead to start showing up in the next month.

Salmon & Shad Report--Salmon fishing seemed to perk up a bit toward the end of the week after a two-week long downturn. Still, anglers were working hard for a fish or two, and the Low Flow Section seemed to be producing better fishing, at least early and late, than the Outlet. Fish in the Low Flow Section were a mix of darker spring run kings and fresh early fall fish.

Feather River - Fair - Low Flow is normal. Some Steelhead being caught

Wha??

I think you are getting confused by the terminology. My understanding is that the low flow section is from the base of the dam to the outlet hole. The part of the low flow section above the 70 bridge is closed from the middle of August until January, but the low flow section below the 70 bridge is open year round and that is the part you are getting reports on.

FFdoc
    "I am haunted by the waters"

There's a second Low-Flow?

In the Wildlife section?
    Where is it?