Thread: Flies for Mokelumne near Salt Springs Reservoir....

Default Flies for Mokelumne near Salt Springs Reservoir....

Campout at Mokelumne River (Moore Creek) near Salt Springs Reservoir next week. Dad is bringing his 7.5 ft. 4 wt and 9 ft. 5 wt. to give me some intro lessons. I've got 4 questions:

1) If you could only take 5 flies what would you choose (please give name, color, and size). I hope to stop at Fly shop on the way up and get them. Dad says he has lots of flies but I wanted to bring some based on your recommendations.

2) I built an aquatic seine out of aluminum screen door screen (30" high, 36" wide) and will do some sampling. Is there a guidebook to aquatic invertebrates for fly fishers that you recommend? (something small that fits in a pocket).

3) Would 7.5' 4X be the right tapered leader for 7.5' 4 wt. rod? (I know the numbers are the same but 4X is about right for trout in this type of stream?)

4) Is flourocarbon tippet the way to go? Should I get a 6' tapered leader and add 18" of flouro tippet?

I want to take the right stuff cause its a LONG drive to the fly shop from Moore creek campground. Thanks for your help!!!

Fuzz

Default Fish Food

I think one of the best books for fly fishing entomolgy is Fish Food. Here is a link toi the authors site. As for the other stuff I can't really be of much help.

http://www.flyline.com/

Good Luck!

Hmm, six flies. Here are my favorite six patterns no matter where I'm going, but I'm going to cheat because I'm recommending more than one size per pattern.

Parachute Adams (12-16)
    Tan EH Caddis (12-16)
    Yellow Humpy (14, then 12 and 16)
    GR Hares Ear (12-16)
    PT Nymph (12-18 )
    Birds Nest (12-16)

Its hard to leave off a black wolly bugger sz 10 and a hopper pattern, but that's six. Put those 6 in a box and you're good to go most anywhere in the west.
    Dave

PS. Oops, thought you said six, oh well.