Thread: Ideas on where to fish & camp

Default Ideas on where to fish & camp

I'm fairly new to Sacramento. Any suggestions on places to fish which have nearby camping (preferably within 100 miles of Sac)? I'm planning a trip in mid-September.
    Rick

There are countless places that fit your criteria. In that regard, we are very fortunate living in Northern California. I would recommend picking up a couple of books. There are a number of good books out there. Ken Hanley’s No Nonsense Guide to Fly Fishing in Northern California, has some good (simplified) maps and brief descriptions, as well as Fly Fishing the Tahoe Region by Stephen Rider Haggard.

I hope you have a fun trip. Good luck and Tight Lines!

Thanks! I'll certainly try to find the books.
    Rick

One more book you'll need is the Delorme map book for Northern California. Places will start jumping out at you.
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

Mid-September is kind of the beginning of the Fall fishing season.

For younger, healthy people I would recommend the Pit River because it is the best time to hit the big Isonychia mayfly hatch. The wading is pretty difficult for anyone who is older or not in shape though.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Wahl
    One more book you'll need is the Delorme map book for Northern California. Places will start jumping out at you.

I agree ED.. my Delorme is dog eared, coffee stained and has alot of Penciled in notes and Markings thru out it's pages... a Must Have in any Serious Angler's arsenal...

DEAN ~
    "..Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride..." ~ Hunter S. Thompson

I couldnt agree more about the Delorme. It is a MUST have.

Mid July I made a trip to the beautiful N fork American River. if you are in good hiking shape I don't think there are many places as close to the Sac area that offer such beautiful surroundings and solitude, its the hike, many easier places to get to. It's only about an hours drive from Sac up I-80 and the road is paved the entire way to most trail heads.

If fishing, hiking, and camping are your cup-of-tea then purchasing the Foghorn Outdoors "California Hiking" book, it lists 1000's of trails, makes a great companion to the Delorme map book for Northern California. Just find the watershed you're interested in and then cross refrence it in the hiking book to find trails that will get you there.
    Good luck!
    Earl