Thread: Oama season

Default Oama season

Aloha it is oama season here in the islands. Oama are a baby goat fish that hit the inshore sandy beaches here. They are a favorite food of reef predators. I created a fly to mimick them and took a client out on saturday for some inshore action. He was able to get a couple of nice baracuda with the fly. He liked it so much, I gave him some to take on his adventures to the other outer islands to fish.
    I had forgotten how well this fly works, so I went out this afternoon and got five baracuda with the same fly. The fly got pretty chewed up, but was still catching fish.
    When I came home, I was suprised with a new Rainy's fly catalog. This is an insert section of their fall line up. Inside the insert was my oama fly on display and ready for sale. It is pretty cool to see your own invention out there for sale. If you ever hit the islands, be sure to pick some up for some good fun reef action. Mems.
    Don Memmer

Default Oama fly

Aloha here is a picture of my oama fly. It is pretty easy to tye. Mems
    Don Memmer

Default Oama Fly

That's a beautiful color combination and matches the hatch perfectly. I think the real trigger though are the feelers under the mouth area. Great idea Mem,
    Aloha, TONY

MEMS,

I'll have to refer that dressing to Folks at the Shop, who are venturing to Hawaii and want to get into some Fly Action while there...

What's the Exact Dressing??? I can Sorta make it out, but would like to be Certain...

Might I suggest you acquire EZ Shape Sparkle Body in the Pearl.. you'd use it to seal the Belly & Head thread wraps.. it doesn't require that you rotate it while it dries. And once it's Dried the Belly and Head thread wraps will be damn near "Bomb Proof".. I use it For my "Surf Clousers" and those areas hold up fantastically from the constant "SandBlasting" they'll get from So Cal Surf....

(actually those "whiskers" on your Pattern intrigue me..will have to tye up afew for my Surf Box and See how the "locals" take to it... )

DEAN ~
    "..Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride..." ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Mems, I remeber seeing those fish as I snorkeled Maui last year. I am going back to Hawaii again this year (Sept 2-9) to the big island, to Kona.

Is there any saltwater fishing around Kona worth lugging some gear around through the airports for maybe a day or less of fly fishing?
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Hey Mems,
    Nice bug. Wish I had a few of those when I was out in Kauai.
    I had to improvise and used a clouser with yellow doug's bugs angel hair for the lateral line. Definitely got the most follows on that bug.
    Cool idea with the rubber near the eye.
    I was checking some of the babies out in the water and then outta water in the baskets of people fishing for those things.
    Had to look at my materials and match as best as possible.
    I guess they fry em and eat them whole?
    Lots of people with a pseudo stripping basket/kreel, shrimp in a floating live well, and just dapping with a small bamboo rod and a hook.
    -Paul

Default Oama victim

Yup, that is Oama season. They fry them like french fries. I like to upgrade them in for papio like the one in the photo. I got him today at a remote beach in Kau, on th oama fly. Adam, for sure you should bring a rod. If I can't get over to fish with you, then I will tell you where to go. I took a client out last weekend and he got a bunch of barracuda with this fly. E-mail me at kickithilo@yahoo.com and I can give you the low down.
    Don Memmer

I have seen those Goat Fish while snorkeling on Oahu and thought they looked a little related to the Bonefish. They seemed to feed on the bottom just like a Bonefish.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Hey Richard,

I'd bet those schools of freshwater fish you described are tilapia (the ones that have adapted to salt- or brackish water, sort of tannish/brown color). They're pretty prolific on Oahu & some of the other neighbor islands, easily caught with hooks baited with white bread. I'd often see them nibble on the cotton end of a cigarette butt around the Ala Wai canal (hmmm, interesting idea for a fly...)

There may be a some small aholehole (Hawaiian flagfish) & ama'ama (mullet) in the stream, as well.

If you try to retrieve a fly or fish that's lodged in a hole or crevice, keep an eye out for the local puhi (moray eel) that may be lurking nearby. I've encountered quite a few of them while plying the reefs with a fly rod & certainly when diving for lobster. I know of several local anglers who came away with stubby fingers after sticking their hands in such places.

mahalo,

Mark