Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Woolly Buggers and the Delta

On my "Bass Buggers" I tye them on 4xl nymph/streamer Hooks...TMC 5263 comes to mind.. I sizes #2 thru #6 they work perfect for Bassin'..

Afew things I do that are different for my "Bass Buggers" is that I place two Marabou Plumes side by side for the Tail.. also i often use Two saddle hackles for the Palmering the Body.. I use softer hackles on my Bass Buggers then on my Trout Buggers..because i am fishing in basically Still water and get alot more Movement from the softer hackles.

I rarely put a Weed guard on the Buggers..the doubled up hackle works great at keeping weeds off the hook point...

I love ZONKERS for Bass... we'll be going into "Minnow Time" for LM Bass soon..(Sir Ken Hanley is extremely knowledgeable about this time of Year... ) and a Pearl bodied, white Winged Zonker in sizes #6 thru #10 are "Must haves" for "minnow Time".... I'd also not be caught Basin' without Clousers, Pearl Yetis or Hart's Glass Minnow at this time of Year on the Bass Calendar...

DEAN ~
    "..Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride..." ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Guys I can't say this enough....I SWEAR BY THIS LEECH PATTERN!!!!

I even tie this with a rabbit strip over the top like a zonker or goblin. Matt and I call this my BLACK NINJA (that name cracks me up). Where I live this fly damn near always catches bass. Matt Johnson can attest to that.

This fly is really easy to tie and it kills out here in Chico.

Marabou tail, however many wraps of lead you want or a bead head, small crystal chennile underneath almost consecutive wraps of polar chennile (the stringy stuff), I don't usually use red thread like this picture.

When I tie in a ribbit strip I tie it down to the hook in 2 spots right at the tail above the barb, and at the head. I have tried to bind it down to the hook with wire starting from the tail wrapping all the way to the head but the polar chennile always got in the way and got pinned to the shank.

I prefer the rabbit strip version over the pattern in the picture because of the larger profile and added movement, but it fishes just about as well. This is my go to fly when all else isn't working.

The other day I tied up some JPigs in all black to see how well they would work for my bass here.

I wasn't catching anything on the JPig so I switched over to the BLACK NINJA and I caught 2 bass one after another. Maybe I should have tied the JPig with a burgandy rabbit strip but all black has done so well here in the past. I bet that the JPig will probably catch you guys larger fish but I think you should give the BLACK NINJA a try.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Adam, what in the world are you using to palmer up the hook to the eye. It looks like someone on a bad hair day!
    Capt. JerryInLodi
    www.DeltaStripers.Com

Jerry, it is a fairly new material called "polar chennille" from Hareline. It has great movement and it adds a moderate amount of flash.

Give it a try!

Adam Grace

Black flies are a top color for many species.

Black Bass
    Blue Gill
    Stripers
    Trout
    Steelhead
    Salmon
    Tarpon
    Snook
    Grayling

I also think you could tie up a Woolly Bugger in many sizes and colors to catch most any fish that will bight a fly.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I agree Bill! I have actually caught snook and baby tarpon on my own salt water specific wooly buggers. That was funny.

The wooly bugger is a great fly, I just put a little different spin on it with the polar chennile and rabbit strip. It is nothing too special but it is a little more effective here for my bass than the standard old wooly bugger.

Watch out for the black ninja fishes........it'll getcha!

Adam Grace

Adam, this is cool, we're learning everyone's short list of favorite bass flies. I've seen the pictures of the bass you've been catching =D> -- black polar chennile is now on the shopping list.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

I can't wait to see if the ninja will work well somewhere else, I bet it will.

Have fun with that material, it's cool stuff.

Adam Grace

Quote Originally Posted by Hairstacker
    Adam, this is cool, we're learning everyone's short list of favorite bass flies. I've seen the pictures of the bass you've been catching =D> -- black polar chennile is now on the shopping list.
    HAIRSTACKER,

Here's My List for Most Bassin' applications...:

Muddler Minnow #1/0 thru #6
    Marabou Muddler, White, Olive, Black, Brown & yellow.. #1/0 thru #4
    Pig Boat, Black, White, Olive and Brown #2/0 thru #2
    Clouser Deep Minnow, Olive/white, Chartreuse/White, All White... #2 thru #10
    Taps Bug, assorted Colours & colour Combinations..sky's the limit here, #2/0 thru #4
    Gartside Gurgler, White, Yellow, Black, Chartreuse.. #1/0 thru #6
    BUB Fly, Yellow, Black, Olive, Brown, Chartreuse..#2 thru #10
    Wooly Bugger Black, Olive, Purple, White, Yellow, Orange, BH & Not.. #2 thru #10

There are other patterns, but with these I Know I can cover most needs and applications....

DEAN ~
    "..Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride..." ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Here's My List for Most Bassin' applications...:

Muddler Minnow #1/0 thru #6
    Marabou Muddler, White, Olive, Black, Brown & yellow.. #1/0 thru #4
    Pig Boat, Black, White, Olive and Brown #2/0 thru #2
    Clouser Deep Minnow, Olive/white, Chartreuse/White, All White... #2 thru #10
    Taps Bug, assorted Colours & colour Combinations..sky's the limit here, #2/0 thru #4
    Gartside Gurgler, White, Yellow, Black, Chartreuse.. #1/0 thru #6
    BUB Fly, Yellow, Black, Olive, Brown, Chartreuse..#2 thru #10
    Wooly Bugger Black, Olive, Purple, White, Yellow, Orange, BH & Not.. #2 thru
    What??? No Zonker?

Jay