Thread: SE Alaska Saltwater Adventure

Default SE Alaska Saltwater Adventure

Back from three weeks of busting salmon, rockfish, and searun dolly varden. The best action was for pink salmon in the esturaies before they entered the rivers. Sight fishing to schooling pinks and cutting one from the pack got everyone's mojo in gear! Floating lines (or intermediate sink tips) and small sparse shrimp patterns (#6) were the key. Silver salmon were spotty but beginning to show up during the last week. They hammered herring imitations cast along the kelp beds.

The rockfish mugged clouser minnows from 15-45 feet deep. Only got two days this season were the rockies were busting poppers on the surface. But when they did, it was shear pandamonium!

Heavy gear folks had their hands full with halibut the size of volkswagons!!!!

Humpback whales, killer whales, bald eagles, bears, sea lions, harbor seals, sitka deer, mink, and otter filled out the wildlife encounters we had every day. The place is incredible if you enjoy wildlife viewing.
    Cheers, Ken

PS: This all took place on Baranof Island, Inside Passage (Chatham Starit)
    Love the challenge...What try? No try. Just do!

Hi Ken,

Nice report. Good to hear you had a great time. Do you have any photos that you could post? Are there any Northern CA esturaies where we might get a taste of the action you enjoy up North? Also, is it about the right time for the Halibut bite in Bodega Bay on the flats?

Thanks, Wingman

Say Hey Wingman,
    I took slides only (no digi pics this trip). We have nothing in California that offers quite the same salmon experience of sightfishing schooling fish in estuaries and small bays. Flatties should be around Bodega area now. Go for it.
    Cheers, Ken

Nice low tides last w/e should have had them concentrated in the channel somewhat. July is usually one of the better months at Bodega, but we have pestered them in Sept. a time or two.
    Hey Ken, GRAND report! Your stories truely make one conscious that the "remnant" runs of silvers and kings around Tomales are just that......remnant.
    ....lee s.

Say Hey Lee,
    It is amazing to see thousands of salmon at one time. I can't really explain the feeling.

I could only imagine what our local Bay Area waters used to be like. I read somewhere that early mariners first discovering San Francisco Bay called it the "Bay of Silver." That's because the salmon were so thick the boatmen couldn't get their oars in the water without smacking a fish. They simply rowed across the backs of king salmon!!!
    Cheers, Ken
    PS: How was your pike trip????

TOO SHORT!!!