Thread: Yucatan Exploratory Report - August 2006

Default Yucatan Exploratory Report - August 2006

Hello Everyone!

Please click on this link to my new website for a Travel Report from our recent exploratory trip to the Yucatan - http://www.anglingonthefly.com/reports/index.htm

Also, please surf the site for information about some new destinations that we are offering.

Thank you and FISH ON!

Regards,
    Keith Kaneko

Fantastic!! You guys are truly blessed. I've been waiting for this report.

Thanks

J

Kiene's Fly Shop has been traveling to the tropics for over 20 years now with groups of customers/friends and have seen a lot of wonderful places in Central America but this new western gulf side of the Mexican Yucatan peninsula is the best because it is unspoiled.

We are fortunate to have one of the few full time professional fly fishing only travel services right in our fly shop now with 'Angling On The Fly' travel service owned by Keith Kaneko.

We are lucky to be connected with some really great guys in Cancun who have 3 locations now and are working on more. They limit the number of fishing days on their locations to keep the fish from getting pounded.

These fisheries can be good all year long but we have found that April through November is better.

Keith Kaneko, owner of Angling On The Fly travel service, and Marco Ruiz, owner of Yucatan Fly Fishing, have the prime weeks of the month dialed in with the right tides and moon phase for optimum fly fishing. With this knowledge we are filling many of the prime weeks for 2007 right now.

Much of the Caribbean side of the Mexican Yucatan and Belize has been fish heavily, both commercially and sport fishing, for over 30 years now so it is no longer at the level that we can promote for serious fly fishing trips. Twenty to thirty years ago on the Caribbean side was the time to be there but now it is only good enough fishing for family and couples for a great tropical vacation with "some fishing".

At our new locations on the western side of the Yucatan you can expect to have the same amount of action per day as you would on the Caribbean side in a week. Also these trips are in many cases less expensive than the old lodges on the Caribbean coast of Mexico and Belize.

Leo Gutterres, Keith Kaneko and I have been searching for better places for shallow tropic flats fishing for many years and have finally found what we think are the best places left in the western side of the Mexican Yucatan peninsula.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Keith - sounds great - can't wait until Marco and you get a place over there up and running - for now I guess I will have to "settle" for Tarpon Cay Lodge and the 5 to 80# taropn!!!!

Glad you all had a great time!