REPORT #1023. “Below the Border” Saltwater Fly-Fishing reports since 1996
Endless Season Update 08/12/06
East Cape

Peter Spruance..Baja Milkfish

FLY

Fly Detail (Alf)
Woody Spruance, Salt Lake City, emailed me the following about his trip he took last week with his son Peter: “So we are back from East Cape. Good trip. Caught an unusual fish on a fly which the guide said was a " leasone" It was a tarpon-like fish in a large school off the lighthouse near Cabo Pulmo. We were told it is rarely caught on any tackle, so my son and I are feeling smug. Great on the fly, jumps like tarpon. Also, good fishing at night on the beach just north of Rancho Leonero, from 8-9 pm, just at dusk. First two nights of ladyfish chasing ballyhoo, then the next night they were gone and replaced by snapper chasing sardina.”

Catching a new species on the fly is always a thrill. The fish is the same milkfish that you have been reading all the stories about in the other parts of the world. It is the first confirmed catch on the fly at East Cape that I am aware of. We occasionally see large schools of them on the surface but never could get them to bite the fly or anything else for that matter. Pretty exciting stuff!

The schoolie dorado have moved in closer to the shore but are mostly singles not the larger fish in schools that deliver arm numbing action. The tuna bite continues with multiple choice of either football size or even some forty pounders further down the beach outside of Las Frailes. Not quite as good as last week, but the billfish show continues with few Fly-Rodders to take advantage of the action.

Water temperature 74-87
Air temperature 78-90
Humidity 66%
Wind: Calm
Conditions: Scattered Clouds
Visibility 15 miles
Sunrise 6:53 a.m. MDT
Sunset 7:54 p.m. MDT

Magdalena Bay, Baja Mexico

We have had some interesting reports coming out of Lopez Mateos this week: Wahoo out toward the Thetis Bank, a few dorado here and there and all the tuna you can handle. Weather has settled down with eighty degree temps during the day with westerly winds in the afternoon to cool things down.

Speaking of surprises……after hearing rumors for years about big roosters at Magdalena, I finally received a confirmed report of a thirty-seven pound fish caught in surf on Magdalena Island. Yvonne and I are beginning our drive down to Lopez Mateos today. I will be fishing offshore for the week so we should have lots to talk about next week. There is a digital photo of the rooster waiting for me at Lopez that I will post next week.

Still not much to talk about in the Esteros, although with the water temps climbing I look for that to change soon.

Water temperature 64 - 74
Air temperature 72-80
Humidity 62%
Wind: NW 15 mph.
Conditions: Scattered Clouds
Visibility 15 miles
Sunrise 6:58 a.m. MDT
Sunset 8:04 p.m. MDT

Zihuatanejo, Mainland Mexico
The 82º blue water is only 2 miles off the beach, and the fishing has improved. Sailfish are being taken at the rate of 2 to 3 per boat per day. The 20 pound yellowfin tuna are still lingering at the 5 to 7 mile mark, and several 20 to 30 pound dorado are showing up in the count. Some boats are getting three dorado a day, and at least 2 sailfish.

The fishing pressure is very low, with only about 7 to 10 boats a day consisting of the entire fleet. A few of these boats are concentrating on the inshore action. It has been outstanding. The average is still 4 roosterfish from 25 to 45 pounds, and about 6 large jack crevalle from 14 to 25 pounds.

Ed Kunze

Water temperature 78 - 84
Air temperature 77 - 87
Humidity 83%
Wind Calm
Conditions: Thunderstorms
Visibility 15 miles
Sunrise 7:27 a.m. CDT
Sunset 8:14 p.m. CDT