Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Halfpounder Steelhead are here

Default Halfpounder Steelhead are here

We have had several reports of Halfpounders in the lower American River already.

Normally we hear something about them in late August with September/October being the best months for chasing them.

I like to go for them early and late in the day swinging small caddis wets on a floating line.

Gary Anderson told me that a huge school of big Halfpounders just entered the lower Rogue River last week and are headed upriver to maybe the Agnes area. They are 20-22 inches long and are probably hotter than a fire cracker.

I also heard the lower Klamath River is very warm. I hope it cools off soon because we are headed up there in late September.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Oh goody! Another year of frustration to ensue now that the steelies are here for me to "try" to catch.... emphasis on try......

Last year wasn't bad, but I never landed a good fish, just small stuff around 14" but this year I'm going to hit it hard and see what I can catch... Anyone who wants to join me around Goethe, I'll try to be there in the evening a couple days a week hopefully and on the weekend.

Jeff
    "Did you catch anything".........."No, did you"........

"Hey man, mind if I fish here?"....."Yes"...."Thanks man!"
    grgoding@yahoo.com

i've been out a few times educating the youth. its good fun but hopefully they wont remember my flies
    "I can hear the salmon fish saying - I'll be back!"

Arnold Schwazenegger, Governor of California, at Klamath Basin Restoration Agreement Signing, February 18, 2010

Jeff, let me know when you are going, I'd like to try and catch a couple too! The river has changed quite a bit in the last year or so around Goethe but there are a couple of real nice ledges below the Salmon hole that are going to have to hold some fish. I've just been waiting for them to start showing up. The river levels seem to be dropping a bit lately so it might be worth a try.
    Ya don't know, if ya don't go!

mike

Mike, it's been a while since i have seen some of those great hand/halfpounder pictures. Geez, whould you get on the ball! Only about one more month and hopefully i will be back chasing halfpounders with you guys.

Jason Hartwick
    Jason Hartwick
    Kiene's Fly Shop
    Steelhead on the Spey Guide Service
    www.steelheadonthespey.com

Jason, Jason, I've actually been waiting for you to get back here so I don't have to take the pics myself. They are much better with a face, well I guess that's a personal opinion. Get your butt back here, I hear the Trinity could be hot towards the end of next month! We need to do a little warm up with these little guys on the "A" before tackling the bruisers up north! One like this will do!

Geez, I need to get out more, I'm getting cobwebs.

mike

Now that's a steelhead. Nice pic mike!

Jason Hartwick
    Jason Hartwick
    Kiene's Fly Shop
    Steelhead on the Spey Guide Service
    www.steelheadonthespey.com

Default American 8/11/06

MSP- Nice Steelhead, oh my.
    That's a beautiful pic.
    Fished Upper Sunrise last night from 5-8. Fairly good evening.
    2 nice h/p's to hand, 2 quarter pounders, first time I have seen/ caught a ''steelhead'' this small, they were about 6''. After I set on them, I thought I hit a patch of grass, all the way to the end of my swing.
    "Wha? a fish''
    Had one really nice take that got the blood pumping. Set, ok, 1,2,3, shook.
    ugh.
    Lots of caddis, NO people, beautiful evening on the water.

I was having luck on a floating line, really short leader and size 10 ALEVIN patterns.

Sounds like a nice evening Slage. I wouldn't have tunk to throw an Alevin. Fished below Goethe this morning with a couple bumps on my Poopahs and one hung on a Carpet Caddis dry. Looked to be around 15" or so. Did you see any fish rising to the Caddis? I may have to try a evening outing! I did see a nice 6 or 7 pound Striper chasing around a baitfish right in front of me. Wouldn't you know I didn't take any streamers today. I did put on an Alevin, it was the only thing in my box that resembled a baitfish. Of course I never saw the striper again. Next time!

mike

No, nothing rising.
    Lots coming off though.
    It is beautiful down there as the suns going. Let me know if your going to try an evening, I'll met you down there.