Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jpig in action ;-)

Congrats on the bass slaying of the Jpig.

Okay Okay I guess that I'll have to try this Jpig out for myself.

We'll see just how much my bass inhale the fly.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Quote Originally Posted by David Lee
    I expected NOTHING LESS from you ........ GREAT REPORT !!!!!

JPig , indeed .........

Sure would be nice to get some of our SoCal (Dean , Paul C. , Digger , W.C. , etc ...) and Oregon (JBird , Sculpin , O.S. , etc. ....) boardies up here in October for the Delta trip

THAT would be a scream ......

David

DAVID,

Lemme Know When and I'll put it in the Schedule Book at the Shop... It would be a Blast to fish "New" Bass water and do it with a Bunch of fellow Bassin' Flyrodders...

DEAN ~
    "..Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride..." ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by jbird
    OK Guys. I may need to reiterate how dumb these bass were. The big one...the one with the fist sized mouth...appeared from the depths, eyeing the end of my fly line...like it wanted to eat it. I gave a couple long strips to replace its field of vision with the fly. It promptly inhaled it right in front of my disbelieving eyes. Not to mention these fish were all caught mid afternoon under a high, hot sun. I cant even count how many times I watched a fish inhale and exhale my fly between strips. Theres no telling how many times that happened when my fly was out of sight.

The pond is 15' deep by 3 acres. The shores all slope pretty steeply. Most of my fish were taken along the shore where a pump brings fresh, cool water in from the rogue river. I was using a floating line, 12' 1X leader and my 7wt. I was casting at a 45* angle off the shore and bringing it up the slope with a very slow retrieve with long pauses. Most of the takes were detected by seeing the line "tick". Tho there were some that murdered it and popped the line tight. There were also some that were just 'there', like hooking the bottom. I did notice if I started daydreaming, I wouldnt get fish. I had to focus on the strip and watch the line carefully to get fish. I thought I might try a sinktip there next time but it might negate the jigging action I get with the floater and long leader.
    I did try a popper for a while with no results at all.

Tomorrow, Mark and I are gonna go to where the bass are wild and big enough to eat a small child. This will be a more suitable proving ground for the new fly.

Jpig

PS Jerry, I'd love to fish the delta with you sometime

JAY,

Don't sell the experience short.. I've had days where I thought it was too damn easy (We refer to days like that as "Stupidly easy") and I figured Every Angler on the Lake would report the same success.. However, in afew "motor By" conversations with Plastic Worm/Crank Bait Anglers working the docks as we were, i learn that they are having success that is about 50% less then we were... Truly the Bass were Keyed into the slow, subtle retrieve of our Flies and the seductive movement of the Materials used on the flies we were pitchin'....

Looking forward this evening to Your report from Today...

DEAN......

The results of todays outing was...well...weird. but quite entertaining. In a nutshell. The Jpig flopped. But the fish were totally turned off today it seemed. I'll let Mark fill in some details..He's got a couple pictures...and probably some funny comments about what transpired...

J

Well Jpig Bird and I went fishing today to see if his new creation would work on wild bass. We did a little steelheading first . What does he catch in an almost guaranteed steehead run on an Otis bug.

I figured he had so much bass slime on him from the other day he had lost his steelhead mojo. Not so, he landed a couple in the next run.

We decided to get serious about the bass fishing and were snake bit

We tried but the only bass of the evening came on a steelhead fly. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Mark

Default Steelhead....???

There's some funny lookin' Steelhead in the Rogue. One's kinda green and fat; the other's kinda long an' skinny. Funny markings, too.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

WELL...

It's Close, but there's enough of a difference in the two...

I was placing an Order for "Stir Fry" patterns for the Shop(Great in the Local Saltwater), Looking thru the Pacific Fly Group Catalog, when i came across in their Bass Section the "JIG FLY"...

Basically it's the same thing as the JAY PIG.. the only difference is the Jig Fly doesn't have a Palmered hackle over the Body as does the Jay Pig....

I went to their Website to see if they had a Photograph I could have Posted, but alas No luck there...

The Tail is longer then the Jay Pig almost twice the length.. and the Rubber/Silicone Collar is fuller and Longer... But Jay had started "retying" the Jay Pig that way anyway....

Hell, Saying JAY PIG sounds Cooler anyway....

DEAN ~

Default report with pictures

I stopped by the pond again thisafternoon. The fishing was decidedly slower. I caught more small fish today. I'm thinking I caught maybe 15 fish with the largest around 3lbs. The wind was howling from the north with a definite feel of an encroaching front. I started with a popper and actually got a couple on that. I rotated thru 3 other flies with not a touch...until I put on the jpig It worked VERY well. Towards the end I stopped getting bit until I put the rod under my arm and did a super fast 2 handed strip. MAN! those fish clobbered it! A super fast countinuos strip, then a sudden pause, Theyd crush it on the pause.

Where the hell am I gonna find Maroon Rabbit strips at .......... ???

I'll begin tying JPigs this weekend -

David

JAY,
    You're making me Drool with all the Bassin' photos... I can't get out fishin' until the end of the Month - with training at the "Spot" and training my replacement at "Malibu" my free time is Non existent

Gotta get a handful of Jay Pigs tyed up and launch the boat on Westlake.. them Bassies will go ape for it...

DAVID,

I Might know where to acquire some Maroon Rabbit Strips...Lemme see what i can find for you....

DEAN ~