Thread: Report from the Yucatan:

Default Report from the Yucatan:

"Hi Keith!

Just got back from Isla Blanca/Tarpon Cay Lodge a few days ago. Here's a report you can share with anyone interested.

Day 1 at Tarpon Cay

First thing in the morning we were surrounded by hundreds of rolling tarpon off a mangrove point. Every third cast or so produced a strike or a follow. I ended up landing two and jumping another five or so. (These were my first tarpon ever!!! Someone with more experience probably would have had at least 10 to the boat.) They were all over an Everglades Special streamer. The average size was between 5 and 10 pounds and they jumped like crazy. I was BADLY addicted already.

After a lunch break, we went out again in the late afternoon and evening and found them in a river or a channel. At one point near the end of the day, it was a strike or a follow on almost every cast. I landed two tarpon, a couple small snook, and jumped three or four others. They really liked a small yellow Gurgler.

Day 2 at Tarpon Cay

It was slower than the first day but we again found them off a mangrove point in the morning. I landed two and jumped another couple. After lunch, my guide took me on a hike along a boardwalk to a cenote which was very interesting. Unfortunately, the action was almost nil that afternoon.

Day 3 at Tarpon Cay

We motored down the coast a ways to find the big migratory tarpon. It was very windy and there was a slight chop. But after about 15 minutes of casting I had a strike and watched a 30 pound tarpon launch itself a solid six feet in the air. Naturally, it spit my fly on the way down. Now, I was COMPLETELY addicted. Another half hour of casting and I watched a 40 pounder jump a solid six feet in the air as it spit my fly. Another couple hours of casting produced a few more strikes and then I finally boated one. It wasn't huge - about 15 pounds or so - but it was my biggest of the trip and I was thrilled.

After lunch, we drove back to Cancun for the Isla Blanca part of the trip and since I arrived at Tarpon Cay during the night, I got a chance to see the drive in the daylight. It is VERY interesting and I took more than a few pictures of the towns along the way.

More Thoughts on Tarpon Cay

My guide was Carlos and he was EXCELLENT. The food is amazing as well. I loved walking around San Felipe and exploring after lunch before the afternoon fishing.
    Day 1 at Isla Blanca

Hit a flat for permit first thing in the morning. We saw a couple permit trailing rays and I must have had 10 good shots at each. The second was feeding like crazy about 25 feet off the bow of the boat for well over a minute!!! I could see him plain as day!!! He was so close I couldn't miss and put down 3 good casts right on his nose but no takes!!!

On the second flat, the guide lined me up for about 15 shots at bonefish. Unfortunately, I couldn't see most of them and he was directing my casting. I did see a couple, though. One was actually a school and I dropped my fly right in the middle of it. (Can you say "SPOOK?") The other bit my fly good and solid but I set the hook like he was a baby tarpon and popped him off.

The afternoon was FUN!!! We were in area of tiny, very clear lagoons connected by small mangrove channels - sometimes mangrove tunnels. You'd see a baby tarpon or two across the lagoon and make the cast. I jumped three or four and managed to boat one. A small, tan Ruoff's Lay-up was what they liked.

(And that's about as close as I think I'll ever get to a grand slam... I landed a tarpon, had my hooks in a bonefish, and dropped my fly in front of a permit's nose...)

Day 2 at Isla Blanca

Boated a decent (ten pound) baby tarpon in a bay first thing in the morning. Then tried a flat for permit but hardly even saw any rays. Spent the rest of the day in a series of large lagoons and channels which were in the direction of Cancun. Had decent action, jumping three or four fish.

More on Isla Blanca

I went out with Enrique, an excellent guide, my first day. Havier was my guide the second day. Although Havier, spoke almost no English, communication was not a problem!!! If you go out with Enrique the first day to get the drill down, I wouldn't hesitate to go out with Havier after that.

They had me throwing fairly small crabs (with weed guards over grass) for permit.

Isla Blanca is a GREAT spot! It has great scenery and great variety! My advice would be to spend spend at least TWO days at Isla Blanca. If someone goes to Isla Blanca for just one day, they aren't doing it justice!!!

All in all, a great trip!!! Please forward a copy of this to Marco and Bill Kiene. (Bill was the guy who originally turned me on to this spot.)

Yours truly,
    Dale"
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Nice report, but I think you would spell his name Javier.