Thread: Pig boat thingy

Default Pig boat thingy

I was very intrigued by this fly when Darian posted the picture in the bass forum. I set out to make a cross between my bass pattern, and the pig boat. Why? I dont know I like to tinker with patterns I guess

Here is the result. Criticism welcome.

No criticism here, I can't wait to see the pictures of the bass you slay (figuratively speaking) with it.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Default PIG BOAT, PIG BOAT, PIG BOAT!!!!!!!!!

Jay,.... I think Adam posted the Pig Boat pic....

Your fly looks like a good variation. Lotsa potential. Not being critical but my preference is for a thicker hackled (Saddle hackle and rubber hackle) fly.

If you're gonna try it out, I'd like to hear how it worked. Tinkering sure is addictive....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Your variation looks nice. I think it'll slay some bass.

As far as the overall look of the fly. I would suggested a more webby (thicker) hackle like Darian suggested, and possibly a thicker chenille to match the thickness of the rabbit strip.

Good luck with the fly.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

JAY,

I'm in Total agreement with Darian.. More Saddle hackle and More Rubber/Silicone Hackle on that Bad Boy...

My Rule of Thumb with Pig Boats is:

A:2 -3 Saddle hackles densely wrapped over the Body (Usually 2).

B:The rubber/Silicone Hackle Fibers should be Longer, extending some distance past the Hook Bend..and packed more Tightly around the Hook.. a Solid Collar of the Stuff....

Also, if you extend the Length of the Rubber/Silicone Hackle Fibers You'll Need to extend the Rabbit Strip's length abit as well...

Other then that, If those Local Bass don't Tear that Bad Boy to Shreds, call in a Tactical Airstrike on the Body of Water...

I'm gonna tye up afew myself and stash 'em in my "Bass Bag".....

Very good Lookin' Bass Fly!!!!!

DEAN ~
    "..Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride..." ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Are you going to name it the "JPig"!?

Kraig
    "The only time we're guaranteed, is the time we've already had. So make the most of every day!"

The "JPig" sounds like a good name too me.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Default JPIG, JPIG, JPIG!!!!!

Good name for THE FLY!!!!!.... Still looing forward to a report on it'd use.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Here is a link to tying instructions I found doing search. It looks like the jig part of a spinner bait. It lends itself to a lot of tweaking like Jbird is doing and looks like a fun thing to play with. I guess I'll have to mess with it a little. Hey Jay maybe we can incorporate those legs I have that seem to scare steelhead off in a flashy Jpig.
    http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flyt...22006fotw.html

see bass section for report

jpigbird