Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sagehen Creek

Default Sagehen Creek

Hello,
    This is my first post here. My brother and I went up to Sagehen Creek and fished upstream from the 89 bridge. We got skunked there a week ago but this week we landed 6 and missed about 5 others. The creek was pretty low but it's just gorgeous up there. We caught most of the fish on size 16 Stimulators and a Caddis pattern I came up with. Here are some pictures:

Nice pictures! That last trout looks like a cross between and brown trout and a brook trout. The halo spots make me believe that it's a brown. Wow...I guess that I need to catch a brookie sometime soon, I've forgotten what their bodies look like. Their pectoral and anal fins are hard to miss but their bodies from what I can remember have a dark, blackish top. I can't remember what the rest of the body looks like. Does anybody have a good picture of a brook trout that they could post for me. I have not fished in brook trout country since I bought my first digital camera. My old brookie pictures are piled away in a box.

Sorry to take away from your report. Glad to have you posting reports and pictures on the board, Welcome.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Adam,
    Brookies can have a really dark "wormy" pattern on their backs and they can get really orange colored stomachs. I don't believe that Brooks and Browns can hybridize. I think Brookies can be the prettiest of all trout.

davkrat, welcome and GREAT first report! Love the pictures, sure are some pretty fish. I agree with you, brookies can be amongst the prettiest of all trout.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Brookies are in fact a char. It may not be possible to crossbread with trout. They are very colorful and beautiful, especially in a mature spawning condition. I love brookies. Nice report.

J

Here is a link to some information on Brook and other trout species as well as a ton of other information about flyfishing in the sierras:
    http://stevenojai.tripod.com/brook.htm

davkrat, look at the "wormy" patterns on the top of the last trout, just like what I thought I remembered a brookie's back looked like.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

I'm with Adam, looks like a brookie to me. Caught 'em by the dozen last week.
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

I called it a brookie in my post, not a brown. Adam said it may have been a hybrid with a brown because of the spots. I posted the description of brookies so Adam could see a picture. Brookies are Char (light spots on a dark background) while Browns are true trout (dark spots on a light background). They're in different families so I don't believe there is much change of the two hybridizing. Regardless they are gorgeous fish and we had a great time on that beautiful little creek.

BEAUTIFUL fish. Thanks for sharing!
    “To me the indescribable sense of anticipation and mystery in simply going fishing is almost half the fun.” - Robert Traver