Thread: Mems

Default Mems

Hi Don,
    I'm heading to Kona on the 14th of Aug. with the family. Any suggestions for a little early morning fly fishing? I'll be there for a week and then heading over to Maui.
    Thanks,
    Terry

Default Kona

Aloha Terry, I am guiding a client in Kona on saturday the 12th, so I will see then. I have heard through the coconut wireless that the oama, baby goat fish are in. If that is the case, then the papio (baby trevally) action should be good. The beaches hold bonefish, but you need to fish at first light before the swimmers send them to deeper water.
    Off-shore has been hot with good sized ahi on the fly. Mahi are still around, but so are big marlin. If you need advise on a charter for the day I would give Russ on the Lepika a call or Del on the Reel Action for a day off-shore. If you need any equipment go look at Pacific Rim fishing supplies in the harbor. Ed has TFO rods and reels there, and some Rainy's flies that work pretty well in Hawaii. If you need more help E-mail me at kickithilo@yahoo.com. Have a good time! When you get one on the line yell "Hanapaa!" good luck, Don.
    Don Memmer