Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rooster Photo

Default Rooster Photo

I just figured out how to use Photobucket (I think). If it works, you should see a photo of a rooster that I caught on one of my recent weeks in Baja. This one was a small one, about 25lbs.
    It was caught on the new TFO TiCr X 7 1/2' 8wt 4 piece rod. My next feat will be to land a small sail with the rod.

Hope this works

Jay

Jay, I'm drooling! As you know, I'm 14 years without a rooster. I had the opportunity to catch one this summer but I would have had to troll the fly, therefore, not a "fly fishing" catch, and of no interest.

Some day I'll be cruising in the Mulege area and actually see roosters busting bait on the beach and I'll get my shot. Until then I'll have to look at OP's photos. Your's is great. I love your "Baja" attire!
    Capt. JerryInLodi
    www.DeltaStripers.Com

Default Roosterzzzzz.....!!!!

Hey Jay,.... That's a good lookin' Rooster. Sure wish we could've caught some while we were down there....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Jerry,

Ya gotta try our beaches. They are all over the place. I'm sure I could put you on to some roosters but it up to you to hook them
    The roosters we saw in July made this one look like a blue gill.
    I think last year, I landed over 40 rooster while I was down there. That's my main species I target.

Darian, I think there is one of there with your name on it. I saw it swim by the boat right before I left. I will be sending out the 2007 baja dates within a few weeks. Everyone on my list will be receiving a flyer. It will also be posted on my website, which hasn't been updated yet.

Have you received the replacement rod from TFO? Just checking to see

I'll be posting more photo's in the future

Jay

PS...... I met Manual Labor today..... I laid down two pallets of sod in my yard. I'm glad it wasn't to hot today only 96 degrees..... Tomorrow is my Texas Hold'em lesson

Opps, Jerry forgot to tell you that I travel light when I do my baja thing.
    3 t-shirts, 3 shorts and a pair of sandals..... the rest is fishing gear

Jay

Default Travellin' Light....

What No underwear I sure hope nobody catches that Rooster out there with my name on it....

Can't wait for the flyer....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Jay, I looked at the La Ventana area about six years ago and was really impressed but found two problems, first, where to stay and second, where to launch a boat. I see you guys are driving from La Paz since the old hotel is not open and probably never will.

The second problem, boat launching, may be solvable if I can find some hard beach such as the launch in Mulege. I may drive down from Mulege next summer just to look around if I have the time. I can launch easily since the boat sits low on the trailer but getting out could be a problem. I could always look around for a local pangero driving a Toyota FWD with sand tires. Usually one or two can be found in any large pueblo.

Right now I'm planning an quick two week run down to Mulege, Estero Coyote and La Bocana and back if I can get two friends to agree. If not, I'll rethink my agenda. My last school day (EVER!) is June 21 and I plan to leave within one to two days later. I have the rest of the summer (and the fall and the winter and the spring, OK, I'm rubbing it in!) to do whatever I want, only constrained by MONEY! However, Mexico can be cheap and the boat tows well. It's another day's travel from Mulege down to La Ventana but it opens up a whole different kind of fishing and when a person has the whole summer, well...

As for clothes, I pretty much wear the same as you, bathing suit bottoms and tee shirts. I took one of my "fly fishing" shirts for pictures as you can see in my avatar but it was way too hot to button up!
    Capt. JerryInLodi
    www.DeltaStripers.Com

Jerry,

I believe you can launch your boat at Muretos Bay or what's now called "The Bay of Dreams" They installed a concrete boat ramp for all of those HUGE row boats. It would be a half hour to 45 minute ride to Cerralvo Island. From the launch to the most southern tip of the island is 12.4 miles. There are places to stay in La Ventana. I know one, the name is Baja Joe's. It's a good place to stay if you don't like all the amenities, like restaurants, shopping and my favorite La Fuente.
    Darian knows about that

Jay

Default La Fuente...???

Hmmmm,.... If La Fuente is the restaurant you guys went to on the next to last night we were down there, I missed it (don't recall why ).... Gotta get you to take me there next time.

Author unknown

Hmmmm, Jay you make it aweful tempting. Twelve and a half miles is not much considering we were routinely going 18 to 20 miles out at Mulege. Baja Joe's sounds like a San Diego grill! Actually, a plate of fish tacos is my usual fare when I'm not cooking myself.

I should have my plans firmed up by Christmas, either my B-I-L and a friend will go with me on the two week deal or I'll just take off by myself and maybe meet people that want to fly down and fish for a week or so, no frills, just share expenses, mostly GAS!

I'll look on my Baja marine charts for the launch area.

Thanks!
    Capt. JerryInLodi
    www.DeltaStripers.Com