Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: talk about the OPPOSITE of fly shops closing!!

Default talk about the OPPOSITE of fly shops closing!!

Saw this on another board:

WOW!! 4 fly shops in Sacramento 7/24/06 3:50 p.m.
    A Orvis store is opening in Roseville. Wonder if the area can handle 4 fly shops!! 5 if you count the shop in Auborn

http://www.sacbee.com/content/commun...15081927c.html

Kind of Stupid if you ask me. They should put one in Red Bluff or Anderson which have zero fly fishing stores, and only one store (in Redding)

Default How Do We Get The Story?

Without having to fill out a whole bunch of stuff to subscribe to the Saramento Bee, how do we get the story?

Apparantly Orivis is opening a store in Roseville. Anybody care to fill in a few details as to where and when?

Thanks Ahead Guys, TONY

Better yet, a Cabela's near Reno
    Steelhead gear = $6287, no of adults caught = 3, amortized cost = $2,095.67, beaching that 30" fish and letting it go = priceless

Default Location, Location, Location....

Jeremy,.... Perhaps you should consider that Orvis is a company that's been around quite a while and probably does some market studies before locating a store near it's targeted demographic. Frankly, I don't see Anderson or redding being on their radar (given that Orvis is much more than a fly fishing supplier). Competiton from the shops in Redding and along the Trinity River would, also, be a consideration for locating in the Anderson or Redding area.

Also, I think you might've underestimated the market in this area and for sure, the number of shops/stores handling fly fishing merchandise from all brands. In addition to the four Sacramento stores and the Auburn store you included, there're stores in Nevada City, Yuba City, Dixon not to mention all of the hardware stores in the foothills that have some fly fishing supplies.... With the growing population, especially in the Roseville area, another shop probably won't make a dent in any of the other, existing shops business.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Darian,
    where is the fly shop at in Yuba?

And for the closet gear slingers, don't forget about Bass Pro Shops possibly coming to Sacramento:
    http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...=94&storeID=62
    99% of my business goes to Bill's, due to the staff, though, and I'd be willing to bet that won't change.
    Dave

Default Fly Shop....

I don't think Bill will mind my mentioning that Johnson's Bait/Tackle in Yuba City has a fly fishing department. They are located on Garden Hwy. Tony Buzolich is the department manager, resident guide and all around great guy.

Actually, the twp shops have co-existed for some time and I think Bill might agree that neither impacts the others business negatively. Drop in and give 'im the business.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

From what I have heard, the Orvis store is going in at the Galleria Blvd. / Roseville Parkway intersection across from the mall and BJ's Brewery. I'm actually shocked that there hasn't been a shop in Roseville yet, as the demographics show suprising promise... Most of the local stores don't carry much Orvis so I can see Orvis' desire to provide an outlet where consumers can see the scope of their product line. In a wierd way, it may actually drive business upward for other fly shops in the area as consumers become more aware of both the sport and what Orvis has to offer. Most likely the shoppers who frequent the established stores will visit the Orvis location, but continue to buy from Kiene's, FSS, Johnson's, etc... I've told Bill about this before, but the Fly Fishing retail industry is extremely difficult to get into compared to other businesses. The vendors do a good job of protecting their dealers territories almost to the point of dampening their own brand growth. I manage a group of local skate/snowboard stores and in the Roseville area alone there are 18 competitors who carry the same product lines, 7 of them are within a 3 mile radius (talk about over distribution)... I don't necessarily see the Orvis store as a threat (aside from flies and tippet), but it wouldn't hurt the established shops to have some sort of competitive strategy to deal with the new store.

Actually there is flyshop now in Red Bluff and its carries the Orvis Brand on Antelope Blvd (Hwy 36/99) called Eagle Creek. I have not been there yet.

Andre

Actually there is flyshop now in Red Bluff and its carries the Orvis Brand on Antelope Blvd (Hwy 36/99) called Eagle Creek. I have not been there yet.

Andre