Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hey Lab Owners

Nice Lab Ben !!!

I never thought I could love a animal as much as I love this Dog.
    I have had 8 other dogs in my life but there is something very special about this one. I have never had a dog that learns as fast as Jake. He has me wrapped around his little paw.

I see your dogs has boots on. When do you need them ?
    Are they for the Rocks ?

ThANKS -
    Rob

We spend almost every weekend of the summer backpacking up in the Sierras north of Yosemite. When we go through long stretches on the granite then I will put his shoes on, otherwise he does just fine. Carries his own food and water without complaint!

Rob:

Don't how "serious" you want to get into the training, but let me know if you might be interested in some other resources such as the Mike Lardy videos. Though it's geared more for the field trial/hunt test games, the basics are really the same for a sound gun dog, especially if you want one that will handle for blind retrieves.

There's also a specific retriever training area, with technical ponds, in the SLC area. I'll see if I can look that up somewhere. I plan on checking it out, along with the Lower and Middle Provo and the Strawberry, when we fly out to SLC for a family party this weekend.

-Bo

Bo-
    You're probably thinking of the Lee Kay Center. It's about 5600 West 2100 South. You'll learn more there during a WMR picinic day than by watching every DVD ever published. Highly recommended. I sure wish I could find a resouce like that in N Calif.
    Dave

Here are my constant fishing companions. Not Labs but I figured pointing the fish would be more useful to me than just retrieving

Cally & Lulu - German Wire Haired Pointers.
    Bass Buggin' - Bad for the heart: Good for the soul.

My lab used to point fish, especially dead stinky ones.... but she would point live ones holding next to the bank too...and she liked it when you hooked up with a "toy".
    "Did you catch anything".........."No, did you"........

"Hey man, mind if I fish here?"....."Yes"...."Thanks man!"
    grgoding@yahoo.com

Dave ("Wind Knot"):

You're right, it is the Lee Kay Center. I believe the State of Utah also has several other wildlife areas available for dog training in Weber County, which is much closer to where I think Rob is.

Around here, though certainly not free, Lakeview Farms in Lincoln and their association with the Calif. Retriever Training Association (CRTA) has some training resources available with some really good technical water. Also, I think the Grupe Ranch in Lodi still offers day-training use, though I'm not sure.

www.lakeviewfarmsinc.com
    www.crtaonline.com