Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Humphrey checking in ...

Default Humphrey checking in ...

Bill suggested I post a little check-in message.

30 years ago I used grab a fly rod and skulk around Northern California with Bill and a variety of other dubious characters (like myself). Then I moved to Marin County (and fly fished for sharks in Drake's and Tomales Bay). Seven years ago I moved to Utah. I have decent trout fishing a few minutes from my home on the Weber and Ogden Rivers, and pretty good fishing anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour's drive away. A couple of hours gets me into the High Uintas for alpine fishing, or Strawberry Reservoir to do some "Berry Picking" for huge cutthroats. In half a day's drive I can reach Island Park, ID, Yellowstone, WY, Green River, UT. And I do, but not often enough.

I will be on the Weber this evening with my wife, Christine. There's a vigorous caddis hatch near Peterson. She'll probably out-fish me. A few nights ago I managed to briefly snag a muskrat. Almost broke my new rod -- and a leg chasing the critter downstream until he shook the fly out of his fur.

I still get back to Sacto from time to time to see the grandkids 'cause the fruit of my loins decided to make their lives there. I'll drop by the store next visit. Be ready to repent.

The Rev'd Neal Humphrey
    Westminster Presbyterian Church
    Fruit Heights, Utah

If my memory serves me right Neal was the manager of Sierra Outfitters which was right next door when my shop was across the street at Town & Country Village West where the post office is now.

I guess we call those "the good old days".

We will keep an eye out for you Neal.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I call 'em the days when I was a flat-bellied young fella ...

No kinden'.......getting old isn't for sissies.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Neal
    Awfully good to see your message show up on the board. It's been a few years and I'm glad to hear life's good. Tight lines to ya' and I hope I'm around when you stumble by the store next.
    Tom Moore

Default Great Stuff....

Hmmmm,.... This wouldn't be the Neal Humpries that co-authored a book titled, "Steelhead Fly Tying Manual" with Tom Light, would it
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Yup. That was me. And it's singular "Humphrey" -- no plural "Humphries" -- which according to those who know me, is a blessing.

About a year ago a parishioner actually tracked one of those old books down on Amazon and had me sign it. 'Twas the first and last time I ever signed a copy.

Here's a long shot: ever run into Fred Miller and his golden Sparky or Buddy? He spends more time fishing the Weber than just about anybody, but usually up river just below Echo. I used to fish the Peterson stretch until I moved back to Cali 5 years back. I sure miss it!
    Dave

Neal,.... Apologies for misspelling your name. I have a copy of the book, also. If you cxan let Bill know when you're coming down again, I'll bring it in for your autograph.

I still recall conversations with Tom Light in the shop on Folsom Blvd. Lotsa good memories
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Sierra Outfitters! Haven't heard that name in a while. I bought a ground cloth,(I think only old farts know what those are anymore), years ago. Still using it and my friends can't find anything like it anywhere. Nowadays you get some high school kid giving you the benefit of his experience at REI and trying to sell you a footprint tarp for some tent. Hey, when did I get old?
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.