Thread: Days 32, 33, time to leave!

Default Days 32, 33, time to leave!

Day 32. We were up early and headed directly to where we had heard there were roosters without even trying to make bait. The location was some deep water just off a beach inside Bahia Concepcion. We arrived to find the fly fishing group already there and trolling with their fly rods.

They reported they had caught some roosters and sierra, the largest rooster about eight pounds but most in the one to two pound range. Trolling flies is not my thing. I blind casted for a while but the fish didn't respond to the hand stripping. This was not really my idea of Rooster Fishing and I was pretty disappointed. I had expected to see the fish busting bait on the beach but instead found them hovering at about 20 feet on the graph but willing to come up for a rapidly trolled fly.

My wife wanted to try trolling so I fired up the engine and we got constant hits and hooked and landed a few sierra but they were demolishing my flies. Time to go picnicking in the bay.

Day 33, Went north to Punta Chivato and found a brand new location absolutely full of triggers. Caught triggers on the nine and eight weights with a few lady fish thrown in. The air was absolutely still as was the water. A really hot day, even with the bimini up. Sweat was pouring off us. The fishing was great but the heat just too much.

The fly fishing group had decided to have the pangas towed to just south of Santa Rosalia where the squid fishermen fish. Dorado are always thick there since they love the offal when the squid are cleaned. We checked with them when they returned in the afternoon, sure enough, the area was loaded with Dorado. Four fly rods were broken in the battle.

Day 34, today. We had planned to motor to Craig Channel, the location where the Dorado are stacked, for one more day of Dorado fishing. It's a 30 mile run each way meaning that we'd end up burning about 18 gallons of gas for the day. We awoke to cloud filled skies, wind and some lightning. Probably nothing but my wife just didn't feel comfortable motoring out in those conditions. In the past we've been on the water and encountered chubascos and they can get pretty hairy before passing.

I've been here for about 38 days and fished 33. I have to admit I'm tired, especially in this weather which is getting hotter and even more humid.

We've decided to pack up and head north. We were going to go home but are tempted by reports of some fantastic estuary fishing by San Ignacio Lagoon on the Pacific side. It's a 40 mile detour on mostly paved roads. Thought tired, it's a bunch of new species to target and in cooler and much less humid weather.

I'm totally clueless about what fish I'll find. I'll read Gene Kira's book. The person telling me about the spot was raving about giant Black Sea Bass and said they were being caught in the lagoon in shallow water but shallow to a bait fisherman and fly rodder are two different things.

If any of you SoCal guys can help, send instructions PLEASE!

Late edit: We found out the exact location is Campo Rene on Estero de Coyote. The targeted species will be Spotted Bay Bass, Barred Bass, Sierra, Shortfin Corvina, Gulf Grouper and Halibut. Mmmm, halibut on a fly rod sounds like a real challange!

It will be silence until you hear from me again after exploring some Pacific water. (OK, some of you, don't cheer too loud!)

Here's a shot of my wife with one of the triggers for you photo folks.

Capt. JerryInLodi
    www.DeltaStripers.Com

Default Triggers.....!!??

Catching Triggers is kinda like catching giant dinner plates. They're tough!!!

Good luck at San Ignacio
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Darian, the biggest trigger I've ever caught was between five and six pounds. Supposedly they get up to 10-12 pounds. That would be about the same as having a 25 pound striper on the line. It takes my wife about ten minutes or more to land one about the size in the picture on my striper rod, a light nine weight.

Gathering info about where we're going and getting excited. I've always wanted to explore Magdalena Bay and it sounds like Estero Coyote is a miniature version of the same type of fishing. Facilities are supposed to be primitive but inexpensive at $15 per day. Since the bay is so small we won't have the huge gasoline bills.

I was worried about the depths but have found that the whole bay is from five to ten feet deep, perfect fly rodding.
    Capt. JerryInLodi
    www.DeltaStripers.Com

Jerry,

I have really enjoyed all your reports, photos, and insights posted during your baja trip. Reading all the reports posted here on the board from you and everyone else let me feel as if I was there along side you guys for all the excitement!!! Certainly the next best thing to actually being there myself. Thanks and have a safe trip home. I hope you will continue your reports from home when fishing in the delta.

Wingman

Wingman, thanks for the encouraging words. The trip's not over yet though! My return to Baja after a five year break has taught me some things.

While Dorado are one of the world's greatest game fish, after probably a thousand of them, it's probably time to move on and a month and a half is just too long to sit in one place. It would be like having a cabin on the best water on the Madison. After a while you start taking a great fish for granted. That doesn't mean that I won't return to Baja, in fact, I plan to come back next year but will be looking for two partners to share expenses with but for only two weeks.

Today I could have fired up the engine and been in waters where there were thousands of Dorado and I just couldn't get up the energy to travel the 30 miles each way. That is a sure sign I've been here too long.

The next three to four days is a totally new adventure. I could only find a few articles on Estero Coyote and some of them are old. Apparently it was at one time one of the great "fishing holes" in Baja and was then destroyed by gill netters. However a local ecological group has formed and they are working towards sustainable fisheries in all species. That means that the lagoon is coming back.

Picture ten foot deep narrow channels with eel grass flats on both sides and in the backwaters, gnarly mangroves. Buried in these mangroves are fierce groupers, spotted sea bass are just below the surface above the eel grass and in the channels, halibut, white sea bass, and corvina prowl the waters. This the stuff that places like South and Central America bring to mind and yet, it's only 500 miles below our border and as far as I know, has not been fly fished in years.

I have almost zero experience in this environment. The challenge is vast and the potential for success probably minimal but it's a new puzzle, new kinds of fish, new presentations, new flies, man, it just can't get any better.

I'll take tons of pictures and take copious notes. If I solve some of the puzzles I'll let you know. If less than successful, maybe others with more experience at this kind of fishing than I can help me solve some mysteries for next time.

You know, one of the best things about fishing is thinking about, "next time."
    Capt. JerryInLodi
    www.DeltaStripers.Com

Hey Jerry, I'm with Wingman, I think you've posted a fantastic series of reports and have enjoyed them immensely. Can't wait to read your report afterwards on your experiences at Estero Coyote, as I can already hear the excitement in your voice at the prospect of approaching a new piece of water and adventure. Good luck and Godspeed to you and yours!
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Jerry
    I'm with the rest of the folks here. I've enjoyed your posts and have probably doubled the hits on this board checking to see if any new reports were posted.

Mark

Take some time to poke around Punta Abre Ojos as well. The inland lighthouse is kinda neat. This is one of my favorite villages I used to haunt on surf trips 15 years back; I've been invited in for abalone dinners on more than one occasion. Watch out for the unofficial Mayor, Ismael - harmless, but will mooch whatever he can.

Is Campo Rene still at the Estuary? I thought I heard it closed up.

Have a great trip. Boy, I hope that road is not as washboard as it used to be - 2 hrs of the worst washboard I've ever driven. Air down those tires as long as you've got spares!!

Dave