Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wildlife on lower American River

Default Wildlife on lower American River

We say this nice buck between Watt and Howe Avenue. We saw about 6 deer out on these little islands. Eugene had his big digital camera with him in my boat.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Bill I hope no idiot poaches that buck. There are some strange people in the bushes along tghe river.

Right now we're keeping our boat up the river in Mulege and it's necessary for us to go very slowly for about a mile in a very narrow and shallow channel. I follow the GPS marks. When we leave before sunrise we can see raccoon families along the shore, clam digging. And of course, herons and other birds. Too dark for photos but still neat to see.
    Capt. JerryInLodi
    www.DeltaStripers.Com

About 3 years ago, I was up by the foot bridge near the University observing the A for the first time, I was amazed to find a couple of doe and a buck bedding. Having been in the jungle of Los Angeles for so long, I was surprise to see anything larger than an oppossum living in view of a city skyline. Then a year after I hear about a mountain lion. Wildlife indeed.
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy nobody but him, and him only that catches more fish than I do." Izaak Walton
    God Bless and Tight Lines ----*<(((>< ~ ~ ~

I took this photo in Dec. 2003 also along the A.river

Are those mule deer or blacktail? Look like mule deer but not sure. Guess I never paid much attention to what kind of deer are around until I moved to WA.

Nice bucks anyway!!

Last night PBS had a Huell Howser show talking about the river from Discovery to Natoma. In it, the park ranger noted that they were Mule Deer.

Those are Blacktails.

They are Black Tail .

The Black Tail ( below and above ) have a black stripe down the whole length of the Tail.

Mule deer ( below) have a white Tail with a black Tip.

One of the running jokes down at Goethe Park during the salmon run is about turkey hunting. All you need is a shovel or golf club, whack 'em when they walk past the back of your car.
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

Bill and Rob

You guys are killing me with those pictures of nice "Blacktail" Bucks. With all this heat we've been having I'm just about to forget about fishing, and get Deer hunting fever. And, Sept. is still two months away!!! Thanks for the pictures guys. Seeing nice deer like that get's the blood pumping.
    Why is it we have to work so hard all week, to try and fish as much as we can in two days? That's just wrong!!!