Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Questions on Bead Heads

Default Questions on Bead Heads

Hey Guys,

I have a number of bead head related questions for discussion.

I have been tying a lot of flies the last few days and I noticed that I had been tying a lot of them with bead heads. I was talking to a friend and he is anti bead head. He thinks that many times the bead head will scare the fish instead of attract them. He has the same theory about flashbacks but we can save that for another thread.

I like to use bead heads as a way to weight the fly, because I hate using so much split shot. On some flies I use weight on the underbody instead of a bead head but on some flies this isn’t possible (ex: Fox’s poopah) and also it adds thickness, which I don’t really like. I also tie my Prince Nymphs with bead heads most of the time. So my question is do you like to use bead heads or not and why?

I was also wondering what colors of bead heads you prefer? I was reading something about black bead heads looking more natural. On my olive colored nymphs I tend to use copper, because I guess I like how it looks, but if the fish likes how they look is a different question. On most others I stick to gold. Any method to the madness of matching colors?

And finally … what size of beads to use on which size of hooks? I normally use 1/8 on a size 12 hook and 3/32 on a size 16, but as the hooks get smaller I am at a loss on what size of bead heads to buy. They all look so small in the packaging it’s hard to tell until you have them next to a hook at the tying table.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

one day last year i put this to the test BH fox's Poopah vs. Fox's poopah and the regular Fox's poopah won by a land slide the bead head was a copper bead. I'll bet if you used a black bead the results would be different probably the same as a non beadhead poopah. i was fishing the lower sac we caught well over 40 fish that day with the overwhelming majority being caught on the fox's poopah. It probabaly depends on a lot of things for example water temperature, how much food is available, light, etc.
    my 2 cents.
    Dusty Revel

P.S. my results were from a single day of fishing to be more accurate i should have tried to repeat it.
    "I can hear the salmon fish saying - I'll be back!"

Arnold Schwazenegger, Governor of California, at Klamath Basin Restoration Agreement Signing, February 18, 2010

Default Bead Heads....????

Wow!!! What a bunch of questions.... Where to start

The answer to the question of whether to use a bead headed fly or not depends entirely on what is catching fish. The same answer would apply to the choice of the color of beads used. In my own tying, I don't use charts in choosing which size bead to applies to a particular size hook. I tend to eyeball proportions and make a choice.

As to the choice of whether to weight a hook shank with lead or other wire, there are alternatives that still allow addition of weight while maintaining a slim body profile. For example, flattening the lead wire before wrapping the hook shank. Another is to purchase a heavier model of the style hook used for tying a particular pattern.

I concur that the choices are dictated by a number of conditions, environmental and otherwise. Chief among which is what the fish want unless you're tying for display.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Carl,
    I tie at least half of my nymphs with bead heads. my results were from one day on one river using one fly. my result were not meant as a gemeral judgement of bead heads. my point is that copper or gold might not be the best color for a caddis pupah. I believe that black may be more appropriate. with other patterns this varies for example Mercer's micro may with a copper bead works great.
    Dusty Revel

Arnold Schwazenegger, Governor of California, at Klamath Basin Restoration Agreement Signing, February 18, 2010

My resent results have all been with Black beads and black tungston beads . However in the past I used Copper or Brass beads with no preference to bead or no bead . When I am nymphing there is always a fly on with a bead ! I need to get to the bottom .

Take my response for what it's worth, cuz I'm definitely a rookie. I tie the following:
    3/16" sz.4
    5/32" sz.8
    1/8 " sz.12
    7/64" sz.14
    3/32" sz.16
    5/64" sz.18
    These came from checking bead sizes in the fly bins at Bill's and the Reno Fly shop . My tying repertoire is limited to the very basic needs, but I tie nearly everything in BH and standard versions.

Water conditions and how I'm using the fly are the only dictators I use when deciding which version to fish. If I need to get down, I use a BH. A dropper off a nymph, wet, or streamer is never a BH. A dropper off a dry may or may not us a BH, depending on water flow.
    Again, I'm a rookie, but that's my approach.
    Dave

I like beadhead nymphs. The bead, for me, isnt necessarily to get the fly down. I'll wrap lead for that. I think they add a character to the profile of a fly, as well as a little flash. I have found beadhead flies outfish nonbeadheads for rogue steelhead....big time.

Jay

i see where you could make that assumption. by any chance could you post a few pictures of your favorite salmon flies or provide a recipee. I have tried to catch salmon on the lower sac on a fly with no success.
    Dusty Revel

I fish beaded nymphs in faster water when the trout don't have much time to decide wether or not to take my fly. In slower water, like spring creeks, I do no like the unnatural extra shine of a bright bead, maybe black or an olive would not be that bad. I try to stay more natural looking when fishing for the more finicky the fish.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Carl,
    thanks, and wow.... alot of beautiful flies.
    Dusty Revel