Thread: Granite Lake. Alpine County?

Default Granite Lake. Alpine County?

Just fished this lake and while we saw a lot of nice fish cruising the shoreline, we couldn't get them to take anything we offered. Is anybody here familiar with this lake and what flies might work?

There was no hatch and they werent really rising so we offered our limited number of nymphs and woolie buggers with no success.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

TIA,

don

Default High Altitude Lakes....

When all else fails trot out a terrestrial or an attractor pattern. I've caught fish at altitude using an Orange Fishhawk or Partridge and any color with a flashy rib. Soft hackle flies seem to work sometimes.

Try an ant, hopper or cricket pattern.... Annnnnnd, finally try a mosquito pattern

My .02

Good luck....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Thanks Darian. We did try hopper and ant patterns again no luck. One of the guys tried what he had that he thought was close to a mosquito.

At that point we started to discuss the clarity of the water and maybe the need for smaller, i.e. 7X, tippet and leader.

This is definitely on our return to list and I'll keep those other patterns in mind.

don

the good sized cruisers were brookies?