Thread: Slow Start . . . Better Finish

Default Slow Start . . . Better Finish

REPORT #1019. “Below the Border” Saltwater Fly-Fishing reports since 1996
    Endless Season Update 07/15/06
    East Cape

Coci 1992-2006
    Early in the week moderate to strong winds slowed the fishing down somewhat. Inshore action was best early in the morning with plenty of ladyfish and a good pargo bite at Punta Colorada. While there were plenty of roosterfish to look at, getting them to take the fly was a different story. Several tropical storms below us have caused unsettled conditions for the past few days. Yesterday (7/14), in spite some rain and windy conditions in the morning, the fishing turned around with some tuna and dorado flags flying for a change.

Coci our Southeast San Diego ghetto dog that morphed into to one of the best fishing dogs to hit a Baja beach, left us last Wed. after 14 fun-filled years. A star in his own right, he was featured on the cover of several national magazines with many articles about his fish-spotting abilities. He had a remarkable life prowling Baja beaches with me. We will all miss him!

Water temperature 74-86
    Air temperature 78-94
    Humidity 66%
    Wind: ENE 10 mph
    Conditions: Clear
    Visibility 10 miles
    Sunrise 6:41 a.m. MDT
    Sunset 8:07 p.m. MDT

Magdalena Bay, Baja Mexico

Gary Hoterig reported an excellent yellowfin bite 30 miles south of the Thetis Bank. Later in the week, big swells and wind prevented most of the boats from getting outside the entrada and the ones that did get out found it uncomfortable. Some quality dorado were caught near the shark buoys west of the entrada.

Up in the esteros, there were big tides this week that resulted in very dirty water that slowed fishing down significantly.

Water temperature 61 - 66
    Air temperature 72-80
    Humidity 81%
    Wind: NNE 9 mph
    Conditions: Clear
    Visibility 15 miles
    Sunrise 6:45 a.m. MDT
    Sunset 8:19 p.m. MDT

Zihuatanejo, Mainland Mexico
    We are really enjoying some very good fishing, great weather, and the only thing missing is a few more people here to take advantage of it. The rain, as normal, has only been coming in the late evenings. Plus, the 82º to 84º blue water is only a couple of miles off the beach, and the fish are biting.

The bluewater fleet, consisting of four to five boats, is averaging two to three sailfish a day each. The two or three boats fishing inshore are averaging three or four roosters a day and several large jack crevalle.

Thursday (7/13) Adolpho on the “Dos Hermanos” got lucky and found porpoise, birds and game fish herding a large school of small flying fish only about ¼-mile off the beach. They had already caught four roosters by the time they pulled up on a feeding frenzy. Before it was over, they were able to catch several large jacks and seven more roosters off the spot. Eleven roosters in one day is a highly memorable event.

My 11 year old son Ken and I fished with Adolpho yesterday (7/14). To guarantee our success, I had forgotten the camera, and had left it back at the house. We caught four roosters from 25- to 50-pounds, plus four large jacks from 18- to 25-pounds. This was all before 11. Ken was whipped, so we headed back, but then Adolpho spotted a feeding school of more jacks and roosters. The roosters did not cooperate, but we released another six jacks in the 14- to 17-pound range. And, we still made it back to the dock an hour and a half early.

Ed Kunze

Water temperature 78 - 84
    Air temperature 82 - 91
    Humidity 83%
    Wind WSW 12 mph
    Conditions: Scattered Clouds
    Visibility 7 miles
    Sunrise 7:18 a.m. CDT
    Sunset 8:24 p.m. CDT
    When you are young, you believe that you are blazing a new trail. Older, you realize that it was a beaten track.

Sorry to hear about Coci , Gary ........

David

Hey Gary,

Sorry to hear about Coci. I'm almost in the same boat. my black lab is 14 and starting to slow down. They become part of the family. I remember on trip where my dog jumped out of the pram after a striper that I was bringing in. When the dog got back to the pram, he looked at me like "well pick me up and pull me back in". I had to row to shore with the dog atow.

Jay

I think that dog had a great life and also enriched many others. I've
    had two "rescued" dogs and they seem to know they are special.
    Cheers!
    Larry S

Gary, too bad about Coci, my condolences. Dogs just don't live long enough but it sounds like he had a dog's dream life. He was very lucky to have adopted you.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Default Thanks

Everyone

I appreciate all of your comments more than you could know. Coci was a special friend who always provided smiles or laughs out loud.

Much, too many of our clients dismay, he perfected the bite and release technique
    When you are young, you believe that you are blazing a new trail. Older, you realize that it was a beaten track.

I'm sorry to hear about your fishin Buddy Gary. When you have a good one it takes a while before fishing or hunting is the same without them.

Mark