View Poll Results: Are bananas good or bad luck or make no difference when fishing?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Good luck!

1 3.57%
  • Bad luck!

10 35.71%
  • I don't believe in that kind of mumbo jumbo!

17 60.71%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bananas, good or bad luck?

Default Bananas, good or bad luck?

I was out fishing for Dorado and we were having an exceptionally good day with twelve fish landed in less than two hours. I needed a break and reached into the cooler and pulled out a banana. My fishing partner freaked and said his brother-in-law would have practically thrown me off the boat. I had vaguely remembered something about the superstition but have never believed in that kind of stuff.

Funny, the next really good day was another day when I happened to bring a banana. Yesterday afternoon I went to the store and bought some more bananas for today's fishing.

So the question is:

Are bananas good or bad luck or make no difference when fishing?

Love to hear some "banana" stories as well.
    Capt. JerryInLodi
    www.DeltaStripers.Com

Hi Jerry,

We fished with guide Mike Kuczynski, owner of the Eureka Fly Shop, in his jet boat on the lower Klamath River.

He won't let you take bananas on his boat.

He has signs/stickers on his boat.

?????
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I've never heard of that one, but now that I have, I wouldn't want to tempt fate. I need all the good luck I can get, that's why I bring my dog along.
    Tom Moore

Default Bananas

I fished with the river pirate last year and he won't leave the dock if anyone has a banana with them.
    It was crazy.
    He sure belives it though.

I had the similar experience on a charter boat for lake trout on Lake Tahoe a few years ago. My wife pulled out a banana for a snack about mid morning. And, I thought the captain of the boat was going to lose it!

Can't really say if there's anything to it, more that the old superstition. But, I know I can get a little nervious when a black cat crosses my path!
    Why is it we have to work so hard all week, to try and fish as much as we can in two days? That's just wrong!!!

Here's an interesting link.
    http://www.azinet.com/captjim/bananas.htm
    -Paul

Paul, I read the stories, wow, some people go ballistic. I'm going to have to make sure I never carry a banana in my lunch when I'm a guest of someone.

HOWEVER, I am now BANANA CHALLANGED!

I've already caught Dorado on watermelon by carving a piece into the shape of a plug and casting it with my light spinning rod.

I'm going to make a BANANA hoochie when I get some good green bananas with fairly tough skins. The ones I have now are too ripe.

I'll troll the regular hoochies until we get into some fish and then switch and try the banana hoochie. Photographs of success or failure to follow!

Funny, I went over to my friend Victor's house this morning. He's a guide here in Mulege (I'll have a page for him on my website when I return to El Norte). He picked some grapes off the arbor in his back yard and some figs and handed them to me and challanged me to catch some Dorado with them! He was in the boat next to me when I caught the Dorado on the watermelon.

I told him no, I first need to catch a Dorado on a banana, maybe then a fig and then, if I really want a challange, on grapes. How in the world can I troll or cast a grape?
    Capt. JerryInLodi
    www.DeltaStripers.Com

Default bananas

I think I'll go behind my buddy's back and put a banana in his float tube pocket the next we go out. If it works that time, I'll start making bets on future trips!

Default The curse

Aloha, if you ever fish in Hawaii, don't even think about bringing a bannana on board over here. Most guys would turn around and leave you at the dock. I was fishing in Alaska with some Hawaii guys and this lady had a bannana in her bag, and the capatin was sure that was why we hadn't caught our limit of king salmon. He just looked at the lady in shock as she tried to peel and eat the thing. He couldn't help it but just grabbed the bannana out of her hand and tossed it over board. About 10 minutes later we were all hooked up. Guys in Hawaii believe in the curse, don't cross them. Mems.
    Don Memmer

this is great.. never heard about this before..

me, I think that if having a banana in your pocket allows you to feel confident about your fishing, then you'll probably catch more fish with it. The reverse is likely true as well.

A banana hoochie !

--Lars