Thread: Shad Report 7.12.06

Default Shad Report 7.12.06

Hit Goethe again this evening with my bro and my old man (his first Shad trip ever). Action was hot on top as a lot of males were taking caddis. Fished about 45 minutes, and we caught about 15 fish between us. My dad out fished me by a lot swinging one of my flies up top. My bro did well too throwing a floating line as well and I struggled with my shooting head. I did catch two nice fish so I can't complain... but I had a feeling I should've brought the 6wt with a floating line instead.

Jeff
    "Did you catch anything".........."No, did you"........

"Hey man, mind if I fish here?"....."Yes"...."Thanks man!"
    grgoding@yahoo.com

Where at Goethe?

I think that fishing late with a floating line and a caddis dry is catching on now especially late season.

I always heard about people catching Shad on dries while they thought they were fishing for Halfpounders in September upriver.

Jeff Putnam has really been promoting this dry fly Shad fishing the past few years.

Cool...............
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

HI Bill,

I had an feeling I would need a floater but I forgot my 6wt at home and I haven't bought one for my 8 wt yet...(hint hint... any recommendations). I always fish (for shad) just up-river of the pedestrian/bicycle bridge that connects William B. Pond to Goethe. It's only fishable at 4400 cfs and below or it is too high and you cannot wade out far enough to reach the fish. Even then, you will be sitting in about 4-4.5 feet of water or so. and lots of current. The fish usually hold on the West side at the first pylon on the bridge or so just above it. Last night it seemed they were higher up. Still saw spawning fish at dark as well and fish were rising regularly all around as close as 2 feet away. My brother's last fish I heard rise to a stonefly nymph being held just under the surface at the end of the swing... Only saw one other fish caught from guys fishing from the bridge and I've never seen anyone else wade fishing there including last year when I started shad fishing...
    "Did you catch anything".........."No, did you"........

"Hey man, mind if I fish here?"....."Yes"...."Thanks man!"
    grgoding@yahoo.com