Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Pacific coast is waiting for you right now.

Default The Pacific coast is waiting for you right now.

If you live in the Valley here in California you are lucky because you can either go east to the higher elevation to 'beat the heat' or go west to the coast and get really cooled off.

July, August and September is prime time for weather and fishing on our coast. After the 4th of July the winds normally lay down as well.

There are surf perch, rock fish, halibut, jack smelt and salmon right off the coast now. September will bring Albacore too.

When the high in the Valley is over 100 degrees, it will be 80 on the coast or cooler.

Let us know if you need any advice. Lots of people on this BB fish the coast.

This photo is from Jay Murakoshi web site.

http://www.fliesunlimited.com/index.html
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Say Hey Bill,
    That's a pic of our buddy Glen Tagami. He caught that striper way down south in the L.A. region.
    Cheers, Ken
    Love the challenge...What try? No try. Just do!

Default Coast Fishing

Your message was very timely Bill. We are taking my son on some college visits along the coast from Santa Cruz to Santa Barbara in August, and the kids will be spending their free time in the water. I have never tried surf fishing, but it sounds like fun. I have no idea what is involved, so some advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Phil

Hey Phil,

Send me an email and I will try to give you a few hints of how,what and where to hit the beaches

Jay

BILL,

Such a Timely Post... The Coast offers Soo much good Fishing; it's almost a shame that some flyfishers, who live close by, don't take advantage of it...

I always encourage Local "Trout Flyfishers" at the Shop to give the Local Surf a Try... Once they get into it, they start "fiending" for offshore Flyfishing as well...Then off to Baja..then, well: You Know what I'm getting at...

DEAN........
    "..Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride..." ~ Hunter S. Thompson

Hey Phil,
    I went to UCSB and never left. Great school!
    Let me know if and when you're in the SB. I fish here regularly in the surf and would be happy to show you around.
    -Paul

Last year starting July the Half Moon Bay area was heating up with the stripers following the smelt. I would guess it is going again, but haven't had a chance to make it up there yet. How long does this bite last?

--Lars

Say Hey Lars,
    The striper surf bite lasts through October on a typical year. The majority of the fish are taken July/Aug/Sept. The next 45-60 day window should give you great opportunities for a salty striper. Go get 'em!

As a side note, when major league baseball enters the playoffs and World Series that's the perfect time to target stripers inside San Francisco Bay. The "World Series Bite" provides lots of action especially around the north bay and middle grounds.
    Cheers, Ken

Hi Ken,

Boat guide John Quigley says his fishing near the Richmond/San Rafael Bridge is Sept/Oct.

Neat to hear where the Stripers are every month of the year.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Say Hey Bill,
    Quiggs is on top the game. The stripers are pretty much historic runners. Meaning that the older fish travel the same routes, approximately the same time, every year. True for both coasts by the way. It's amazing to chart their travels and notice that there are fairly small variations to the dates (ususally within a few weeks either way). Very cool stuff as you mention.
    Cheers, Ken