Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Leader Systems....

Jay

The forcast for the rogue valley is 108 friday, 111 saturday...enjoy the cool weather down there.

Jay

PS. Loved Rancho Viejo

Default HOT, HOT, HOT!!!!!!!....

Sure sounds like you're getting some good fishin'.... Large Roosterzzzzz!!!!

Not sure about the heat, tho. !02 - 104 degrees on the water in an open Panga. WHEEEEeeew!!!! I'm stickin' with early June for my trips. (guess I'm turning into an ol' fart....)
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

The connection knot Leo is using is essentially a 5 turn clinch knot - through the leader loop, make 5 turns around the leader and come back through just above the loop in a loop formed between the bite and the leader. At least I think that is what he showed us at TCL

Default "No Name Knot"....????

Rick or anyone,.... The connecting knot I saw demo'ed at Kiene's looked to be similar to the one you describe. I'm going to try to describe it here. If my understanding is incorrect, please let me know.

The class or bite tippet was inserted into the loop and wrapped 3-4 times around/up one side of the loop. Then crossed over to the other side of the loop and wrapped around/down it 3-4 times. The knot was closed by pulling on both parts of the tippet and the twisted leader, simultaneously. The end result is something that looks a little like an Albright knot.

Combined with the stretch built into the twisted portion of the leader, this knot appears tp be very strong.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Hi Darian
    That isn't the knot that Leo showed us but sorta sounds like a slim beauty except you are wrapping the bite around the tippet rather than the class tippet around the bite?

When you wrap back down do you thread back through the leader loop or between the bite and the leader?

You guys have got me scratching my old bald head How are you building these twisted leaders without a gig ?

Thanks Mark

Hi Mark,
    Darian explains it pretty well further up in this thread.

What is important when twisting is to keep the two strands separated - Leo puts one strand over his shoulder to keep it away. As you are twisting, the untwisted strands really start to twist and can get tangled so you need to pause periodically and while still holding the portiuon where they have come together , stretch the two strands separately to get the twist out of them. Much easier to demonstrate than to describe but you can make up a 5 to 7 foot butt section in just a few minutes.

Default Leader system

Darian
    Your leader kit and samples are on the way, email or call me if you have any questions. Lee's suggestion on going down to 15 lb material is a good one and I will try to get the breaking strength on it on Kiene's knot maching with his permission.
    Leo

Default No Name Knot....

Hmmmm,.... Thanks to Leo for his help and materials, etc.!!!

Guess I confused everyone with my last description of the knot. This knot is the connection between the loop at the end of the twisted leader and the class tippet. Altho, I like to use loop to loop connections, this knot is easy/quick to construct.

Think I might need a sketch to help explain it.....

Author unknown

Default No Name Knot....

OK guys,.... After reviewing the materials and leaders from Leo, I've incorrectly described the No Name Knot. However, I have accurately described the knot I saw demo'd at Kiene's. I think the difference was that the knot demo'd was for a light leader for Trout fishing.

Anyway, the No Name Knot looks similar to an Albright. Tippet material is inserted into the connector loop and wrapped around both legs up to 7 times. The remaining part of the tippet is then brought down and run between that part of the tippet originally inserted and the two legs of the loop, itself (do not return this part of the tippet back thru the loop). If done correctly, when the knot is tightened, the tag end of the tippet will stick up at a 90 degree angle to the knot.

Again, a very strong and easy to tie knot. Time to put this stuff to use.

Author unknown