Thread: Shad on the American 7.9.06

Default Shad on the American 7.9.06

Hit the A with my brother last night for about 30 mins (wanted to fish longer but work sucked me in til 7:15pm, which meant we got to William B. Pond at 8:30pm or so).

Fish on, on my second cast, my bro breaks off on his strike 5 seconds later, and I miss another on the first cast after I released my first fish. Proceeded to miss a few more strikes and got another fish to hand before it got dark and my bro hooks up right before we left with a nice fish. So we got 3 fish to hand in about 20 mins and missed about 7 strikes... not too bad considering all the guys on the bridge didn't catch anything...

Kevin was throwing one of my shad flies on a floater and I was using my usual type 6 SH set up. I did try trailing a caddis pupa pattern in the last 5 minutes or so, hooked up for about 3 seconds and then the fish was gone so not sure if it hit the caddis or the shad fly... The fish hold right above the bridge and the water levels are perfect to wade out and get a nice drift. Lots of fish rising too... I assumed shad taking caddis...
    "Did you catch anything".........."No, did you"........

"Hey man, mind if I fish here?"....."Yes"...."Thanks man!"
    grgoding@yahoo.com

Default Shaddin'....

Hey Jeff,.... Pretty good for 30 minutes of fishin'.... You gotta get some more time to fish Bro
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Yeah I know.....my last three outings I planned on leaving work around 7:00 pm to fish for maybe two hours... each time I didn't get to the park until after 8:00pm....

I am supposed to get evenings off on the weekend but for the last 4 weeks my sup. has been a no show so I ended up covering. On a side note, interestingly enough, those were the first strikes I've missed while shad fishing....

grgoding@yahoo.com

Fished with CW lastnight(sunday) below the hatchery; between the two of us we probably caught 15- 20 fish from 3 to 6 pm. There was a huge school that kept us and one other boat entertained the whole time. Dont know who the guys were but I have fished next to them all season; very polite, curtious guys. I look forward to seeing them on the water next year. So I said there was a huge school and was is the key. Took my dad out tonight thinking I was gonna get him into fish......nada. I was so disappointed. Motored all over the place to try and find them but couldnt. Maybe next year. Thanks for the great time yesterday Chucky.

Sounds like my last day shad fishing last year Charlie. Hit my usual spot on a Thursday, did well, came back Saturday with DJL and MSP even showed up and not a fish to be had... the whole school was gonzo pretty much overnight.

Jeff

grgoding@yahoo.com