Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hawaii Baitfish: SOS mems

Default Hawaii Baitfish: SOS mems

Hey Mems or anyone with knowledge/photos,
    Anyone have some pictures & size scale of typical hawaiian baitfish that school up? Heading for a couple weeks in Kauai and i'm staring at mounds of material trying to pare it down to what is really necessary. Granted, I have a bunch of patterns already, but want to match the hatch so to speak.
    Any info would be stylin.
    -Paul

Default Hawaiian Baitfish

Paul,

The first thing that came to my mind was opelo. I think they're also called mackeral scad.

I've been fishing the Kona area for almost thirty years and there always seems to be large schools of opelo moving in and out of the bay and harbor with the tide.
    Last year at the mouth of Honokahou Harbor about 5:00am I was able to take two large omilu (jack) on poppers as the opelo came through. I can't really call them ulua though one big one did take me in to the rocks that I never got a look at.

Take a big rod even for the shore if you want some fun at dark. I was using an 11w with a floating head and straight 20# leader with a 60# bite.

No, that's not overkill at night. Lots of big things come in close then.

Aloha, TONY

Hey Tony,
    How big is that baitfish. Like a mackerel 6" length bugs has you covered or something shorter?
    I hear what you're saying at the night action. I got schooled on the 8wt on a few mystery fish the last time I was out there. My wife looked happy everytime I walked in the door. I think she was expecting me to get sucked out to sea fishing off of lava rock solo at 11pm.
    I know there are GTs cruising along with god knows what else. Hope to get into em this time around.
    Should be fun regardless. May the trade winds go elsewhere that week. lol. I'll definitely bring the 10, 8 and a 6 for the peacock bass.
    -Paul

P.S. Are these the dudes you're talkin bout? A few of those patterns will definitely thin the herd on the synthetic material in the closet.
    http://www.fishbase.org/Photos/Thumb...ary.php?ID=993

Default Opelo

That's a great picture and 6" would be good for size too. I tried some large sardina patterns to no avail but got most of my action from poppers stripped real fast. I think large 3-D eyes really help too.

I was told that the opelo move out in to the open water at night to feed and return to the protection of the harbor as the sun comes up. The GT's follow the schools and push them up against the shore as they crowd them in.

One afternoon just off the Kailua pier there was a large school of opelo being herded by several large kahala in the twenty pound class. As the kahala would charge through these bait, the entire school would erupt on the surface and could be heard all over town.

The other baitfish that I've seen being used is called weke or oama. It's a small yellow and white goatfish about 4" long. Sometimes large schools of these would pile up right against the sea-wall in town and folks would be catching them with a piece of shrimp and a short cane pole. While most were simply keeping the oama for dinner a few would hook one under a bobber and throw it out just past the action on shore. I think these were targeted for the papio and omilu.
    TONY

Hmmmmm ......

Try a Paul C's. Sardina - they work good on Roosters , Jacks , Sierra , etc. - I'd give 'em a go

Good luck on the trip , and be safe !!

David

Hey David,
    I definitely have a few of those in my box.
    Talking with a guide out there, it sounds like they are getting into some good sized bones and GT. Floaters in the salt...right on.
    I'll post a report on my return. Anytime you want to hit up the socal surf scene, just drop me a message. Picked up two beans this morning and a mess of perch. The fish are super grabby right now.
    -Paul

Default Corbina....!!!

Hey Paul,.... Nice corbina....Barring anything unforeseen happening, I'm planning on being down that way the week of the 15th. Got any recommendations for surf in that area
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Hey Darian,
    Sure. I always have some beaches that I'm working. What area are you going to be at? Santa Barbara, Carpinteria, LA? I fish LA once in a while but can ask around in advance of your trip if you are headed that far south.
    I was hoping to go scouting further north tomorrow, but a meeting got in the way. I'll probably hit the morning session on Weds. I'll also be on the water of course this weekend. Maybe we can even hook up for a late morning session. Low tides should be around 8am so its not entirely necessary to get out at grey light and wait out slack tide.
    One spot has been producing alot of beans, but the structure is moving on me and the sight casting opportunities are dwindling.
    You can still catch em blind casting to rips, but its not the same thrill.
    That and the snaggers have found this spot.
    Its a bummer that snagging corbina is not illegal.
    I've dropped you a message with my frequently read email.
    -Paul

Default Sorry I have been away

Aloha, sorry I didn't get to this thread, I have been away on Martha's vineyard chasing stripers and blues. That was good advice about the opelu. I have a Rainy's mini teaser in blue/white and purple/white that works pretty well to imitate those fish. I like the bubble head popper they sell in size #3. Again in purple/silver and blue/silver. As for the weke, goat fish they are called o'ama and I created a fly for them. It is a yellow and white clouser with rubber barbels under the chin. If you are at the harbor in Kona they school at the beach right next to the entrance. Cast out and let it sink to the sand the puff it along in the sand, Omilu, bluefinned trevally love those guys. On the big island I use black clousers and poppers. They immitate gobis or jumping jacks that live in the tide pools. Decievers work well, and popper decievers are a great combo to throw at dusk or first light. Sorry I got to this so late. good luck and let me know how you do. The o'ama fly should be in Rainy's catalog next year. Mems.
    Don Memmer

Hey mems,
    Thanks for the reply. Funny you mentioned that rainy's teaser. I just picked up a few blue/white at a shop for a striper trip in a couple weekends. I was looking at it thinking, man a coastal striper should just slam that thing.
    Thanks for the tips. I recall you mentioning a yellow clouser. Definitely will tye some up prior to the trip. Talking to some guys out there, it sounds like there are some big bones on the north shore. I'll see how I do this year around. Hopefully, I'll break through my bonefish stalemate out there.
    Hope you did well with the stripes and blues.
    -Paul

PS thanks for the tip in idaho.