Thread: Day 19, Attacked by Humboldt Squid!

Default Day 19, Attacked by Humboldt Squid!

We awoke to a tropical downpour at five in the morning. It lasted an hour and was accompanied with thunder and lightning. There were even puddles to tromp through on the walk to the boat. A great way to start off the fourth of July.

We had a late start and didn't try to make bait until after eight. Still, we managed to put about a dozen in the well. I had heard of another possible roosterfish location, a rock wall that runs for about a half mile inside the bay. We prowled the area for half an hour. Nothing.

Pointed the boat to where we had caught Dorado the day before and headed out. At eleven miles out I saw a huge swarm of birds working and a boil under them. We closed and dropped our hoochies. I could see some brownish thing attacking them almost immediately but we weren't staying hooked up. Eventually I got a good look at the culprits, Humboldt Squid.

I slowed the boat and both of us were fast to squid. I lost mine but Jeanette got hers to the boat. I went for the camera but the hook pulled out before I could take pictures.

Fabian on the, "Kosher Sushi" did actually land one and promptly chopped the head off so that his boat wouldn't get "inked".

We spent the next hour and a half trolling, scouting for Dorado but all we found for our efforts were three small bonito. Still, lots of good signs, squid and bonito are some favorite dorado food. If food is here, hopefully the dorado will even get thicker than they have been.

Fabian's squid!

Capt. JerryInLodi
    www.DeltaStripers.Com

Default Squid!!!!

Wow!!! Calamari on the hoof (errr, fins.... tentacles). MMM, MMMmm.....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

We did get our share!
    Capt. JerryInLodi
    www.DeltaStripers.Com