Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Information needed

Rainbows are the native fish out here, and in my opinion the finest of all the trout (my opinion is very biased!). Why not go after the native/wild fish of the area? You will find the rainbows in the western sierra aren't adequately described as common, they are much more accurately described as sublime.

Have fun on your trip.

Putah Creek is very close to Fairfield. The flows in the summer are high and it gets hot during the day, but at night and in the mornings people are catching fish. No brookies, but some wild rainbows and the occasional brown. I hope you have a good trip. Good luck!

www.putahcreekflyfishing.com

you can find recent reports and flows for putah on that site.

Daniel,
    If you're willing to do a little driving and spend the night somewhere, I'd suggest checking out somewhere like the McCloud, Upper Sacramento, or Truckee rivers. These places are gorgeous and have some great fishing for native rainbows and the occassional big brown. I live in SF and can get to these areas in about four hours, so it would probably only take you about three hours or so from Fairfield. Definately worth it it you have the time in my opinion.
    Good luck, and give us some reports if you get the chance.

ps Make sure to disinfect your gear from the mudsnails if you fish Putah and then go somewhere else. Those things can live for a month out of water, and it only takes one hidden in your boot to start a new population in another river. I stopped fishing Putah once the mudsnails were found there because of this.
    patrick