Thread: Day 18, Dorado, Dorado, Dorado... Yellow Fin!

Default Day 18, Dorado, Dorado, Dorado... Yellow Fin!

A new gringo arrived last night and asked me to go out fishing with him to show him what I knew of the area. He had a nice Carolina Skiff Offshore 2100 so it would be a chance for me to try out a different boat and save gas with my own.

Fabian, Raphael (a local fisherman) and myself were on the water at 5:45. We made bait for almost an hour with little results. Mostly Coronet fish with a mixture of two mackeral, two big eye and some small taco bass. I'm going to try a new place tomorrow.

After an hour we reeled in and pointed the bow at 50 degrees and motored out for almost 50 minutes. Fabian dropped a tuna feather and I dropped one of my hoochies. In less than 5 minutes Fabian was hooked up with his first Baja Dorado. I reeled in and grabbed my fly rod, cast and hooked up with a 15 pound bull. Fabian brought in his fish and grabbed his own fly rod and was instantly hooked up. We stayed doubled up for the next two hours. I landed four males, all cookie cutter copies of each other, about 15 pounds each. Fabian caught another six fish, some on his ten weight, some on spoons, and some on plastic baits. The biggest fish of the day was the first one, hooked on the tuna feather, a bull of a little over 20 pounds.

We were getting tired of being constantly hooked up and decided to go looking for bill fish. We motored well away from the area with the Dorado and dropped the feathers and my hoochie. A half hours trolling brought zero hits.

We could see a boil and punched it only to see that it was a school of dorado moving quickly on bait. We were still some distance and backed off and were struck immediatly once our attractors were moving slow enough. Both fish were strong but didn't do any jumping. I was sure we were into Yellow Fin but none had been caught yet. Once at the boat the telltale colors of a Yellow Fin are hard to deny. Both fish were identical. We put both in the cooler.

Another hour's trolling brought no results and we headed back to the bay to show Fabian some of the favorite rock fishing locations.

Fabian was pumped, his schedule was now planned for the next eight days!

Today's fish picts.

Capt. JerryInLodi
    www.DeltaStripers.Com

We were getting tired of being constantly hooked up

I really feel sorry for ya!

Thanks for the report Jerry...Very enjoyable...great job.

Jay

Default Yellowfin....!!!!

Hey Jerry,.... Too bad there weren't any billfish but the Yellowfin Tuna makes up for it...

Another fish I haven't taken on a fly, yet....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Darian, I've caught them on a fly but only when casting into a boil. You have to be lucky and fast unless there's heck of a lot of bait and you happen to be close by and the boil goes on for some time. The ones that I've seen only last for three or four minutes. That's why I was so pumped with the dorado boil I saw went on for what seemed like a half hour and was so frenzied.
    Capt. JerryInLodi
    www.DeltaStripers.Com