Thread: Day 15, Fishing can be a social affair!

Default Day 15, Fishing can be a social affair!

Making bait can be fun and so Jeanette and I were up at five so we could be outside the harbor at first light at six to “make bait.” We saw a panga already working the water and motored close before killing our engine. My wife recognized the panga skipper and called out, “Hey Mateo!” He had not seen our new boat but as soon as he heard Jeanette he called out a big hello to both of us. We chatted a little bit and praised the good fishing but he decried the fact that there were no clients. We told him we hoped that would change in the coming weeks and then started jigging the bottom with Sabiki rigs looking for mackerel and big eye. Forty-five minutes of jigging produced only a dozen baits and half of these were bottom fish. The results of the purse seiners were still with us.

Having a good target from yesterdays fishing on the GPS made our starting location easy. The 45-minute run cooled us down in what looked like it was going to be a hot day. Jeanette buttered herself with sun tan lotion and insisted I rub some of the gooey concoction all over myself as well.

The calm flat water with a star shaped pattern of weed paddies looked totally different than yesterday with the only remaining occupant being one seal that stuck its head up as we slowed to 1800 rpm and put out the hoochies. After three days of trying hookless hoochies I had tied the 5/0 hooks back onto their skirted attractors. I’d save my experiment with sailfish tactics for another time. We picked a heading of due east and settled in, waiting for the first strike.

The “Captain Ron” three miles further out called to “True Blue” on the radio and reported that he had just found fish and had a double hook up. No sooner had he spoken than our starboard hoochie was struck by a Dorado who was off and running. Jeanette grabbed the conventional rod and I shut down the motor and reeled in the hoochie on the other side before grabbing my fly rod.

Dorado by the dozens were coming to the boat. I cast and stripped but was ignored until I fired a ninety footer well away from the boat. A nine-pound female grabbed the fly and began her acrobatics. Jeanette brought the little eleven-pound bull to the boat and I netted it and put it on the deck for dinner while still holding my fish. Jeanette picked up her rod and after a couple of false grabs was stuck fast to a fish. We stayed doubled up for two more fish before the Dorado lost interest.

I started to regret all the tanning lotion I had obediently rubbed all over my face and arms. I was pouring sweat and it was being carried into my eyes, which were burning fiercely. I toweled off but it provided little relief.

In the mean time we had called, “Solo Angel” over telling him that we had fish all around us. He was eight miles away when we called but had covered the distance by the time we had boated our last fish. Dustin of “Solo Angel” was soon hooked up and called us over saying that his boat was surrounded by hundreds of fish. Another boat, “River Rat” was close by and said that no, there were thousands. Dustin asked whether it was hundreds or thousands and I answered back, “Hundreds of thousands.”

We had dropped the hoochies again on the way to “Solo Angel” but hadn’t moved more than two hundred yards when we were struck again. I offered Jeanette first cast and would have reeled the fish in on the hoochie but she said she was tired. I looked at my fly before casting. It looked like it needed a good shampoo and especially some conditioner. It was a tangled mess. I shrugged and cast far from the stern of the boat and was hooked up immediately. Another 10 pound female.

The fish that was hooked on the hoochie was hooked so deeply that it was definitely a keeper and Jeanette left it on the deck once boated. She picked up her flyrod, cast and LDR’s several fish after getting some decent runs from them. I brought my fish to boat, half blinded by the lotion, and Jeanette expertly netted it.

I filleted the fish on the deck, all the time swearing about not being able to see and then toweled off again before picking up the flyrod for a few more casts. No fish were in sight so I started tossing out the baits we had in the live well. We were instantly surrounded by marauding Dorado. I cast and was grabbed five or six times but missed the hookups.

We were out of live bait, we both were tired, my eyes were burning. We could have started up the boat and dropped the hoochies and started the routine all over again but decided we’d had enough. We had the fillets of two fish on ice in the cooler and had brought another five or six or seven to the boat on la mosca. We headed in.

Jeanette's first of the season's Dorado on a fly.

Capt. JerryInLodi
    www.DeltaStripers.Com

Right on Jerry. Looks like a blast. Nice dorado pic!
    -Paul

Every day I look forward to your posts. I feel like I am catching Dorado from my desk

Thank you VERY much!

Kraig
    "The only time we're guaranteed, is the time we've already had. So make the most of every day!"

Default Sunscreen..... Ughhhhh!!!

Wow!! You and "she who must be obeyed" really had a good day.

Sorry to say, I had the same problem with sweating that stuff (sunscreen) into my eyes down there.... On the positive side, I'm constantly amazed at how you're able to carry out all the things you do while fighting fish, etc.

I'm really enjoying reading aboout your exploits. Keep the reports coming.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Darian, you can't compare fishing out of a panga with a skipper and another angler to fishing on a well designed platform with a partner of 25 years. The "No Nonsense" is completely walk around with zero obstructions, the only dangerous area being the trim tabs and motor at the stern. While "she who must be obeyed" is not the fishing maniac that I am, she has caught well over a hundred Dorado and after a few days of remembering how to "get the fingering down" can handle a rod fairly well.

Big fish in the open ocean from such a platform are a relatively easy target. I set the drag light on my reel and maintain the fish mainly by palming or "fingering". Fingering is jamming my right hand up tight against the reel and using my little finger to reach across and play the rim for drag.

If the fish is away from the boat all I have to do is maintain pressure so I don't end up with an LDR. That leaves my left hand free to do things like take pictures, net fish, drive the boat, make entries into the GPS, etc.

Even opening the hook another five to ten degrees, (I use EagleClaw mild steel hooks, chrome plated) will still allow one to be hooked up until the fish is near the boat. If lucky, those last gasp jumps and struggles at the boat will throw the fly but sometimes it's still necessary to get the net out and take the hook out by hand.

As far as the hooks, I've elected to use something other than stainless steel since occasionally I do break off a fly. I want that fly to deteriorate as quickly as possible. I also used bronzed hooks which fall apart really quickly. The only "bad" part is that once used, I have to remember to wash my fly otherwise it will turn to junk in two or three days. Usually it's pretty much destroyed by being ripped by numerous fish well before that time anyway.

I also use one pattern, a clouser in sardine or mackerel colors, about 4 inches long on a 4/0 hook. It seems to always work, if not immediately, I can usually tease the fish into a strike. I use the same fly as a popper. I just add a sliding popping head over the line and slide the clouser up to it.

Glad you guys are enjoying the posts, I'm having fun writing them and even more fun doing the "research" for the postings.
    Capt. JerryInLodi
    www.DeltaStripers.Com