Thread: Yellow Creek picture report

Default Yellow Creek picture report

I fished Yellow Creek today for my first time. The sky was overcast but the temperatures were pleasantly warm. Yellow Creek is located near Lake Almanor, in the Humbug Valley.

Yellow Creek meanders throught this beautiful lush valley originating from springs. The slow flow, clear water and tall grasses can make the fishing more difficult and challenging, I love a fishing challenge.

Along with the tall grasses there are some beautiful wild flowers.

I managed to catch about 10 brown trout within about 2 hours before a thunder storm and rain drove my off the water. I caught the majority of the fish in two different locations in longer and slower water where fish were actively feeding on small PMD's.

Here's a picture of one of the small browns.

Most of the fish I caught were about 6-8". I did catch one about 12" but the 5x tippet didn't allow me to pull it up a couple of feet onto the bank.

All of the fish were taken with a dry fly, very fun.

Yellow Creek is a fun fishery with a great surrounding.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

Excellent report! Nice pics. Thanks Adam.
    Alastair Ingram
    www.saxlessons.com

Adam, did you find the grinding rock about two thirds of the way north on the valley on the eastern side. It's a large rock and almost a plateau. Once on it you can find the drill marks of hundreds of years of grinding. When my wife and I were there years ago we speculated about how mothers and daughters for generations probably sat on this rock grinding acorns and pine nuts and looked across the valley, laughing, telling stories and the mothers scowling while the young girls checked out the young boys.

It's a special place and even though the fish are small, worth a visit.
    Capt. JerryInLodi
    www.DeltaStripers.Com

Some years back they did some repairs to Yellow Creek planting willows and now I believe they don't allow cattle to graze there either.

It was a famous stream 40 years ago then got kind of abused by the cattle grazing.

I have only seen pictures that always look great.

My friend Bob Long goes up there yearly in June on normal years to fish the Green Drake hatch.

I don't know if it has truly recovered to it original condition though?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Sweet photos Adam! I love fishing Yellow Creek. It's fairly challenging especially when the water is gin clear. I went up there a month or so ago and the water was still a bit high and not too clear, but it looks like you had a successful trip.

There was a restoration project there. There is a sign at the PG&E campground that tells about it. There is also a box where you are suppossed to report your catch.

Jerry: Where is that rock you are talking about? I would love to see it. Upstream from the campground? Is it near that carbonated spring?

Here is a picture from when I went up last November before the season closed. It is beautiful up there.

Nice picture Matt.

It looks like a painting.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

You take some great pic's Adam!

We are planning a trip up there very soon. I have talked to a few guys about the lower run in the box canyon as well. They say theres some good fish and many holes to fish but its a tough walk.

I sent you a couple of private messages with a few questions. did you receive them?

I have heard some reports and seen pictures from oldtimers from Yellow Creek. The seem to indicate that the fishing was significantly better when grazing was allowed. I don't know if this is true or not, but the old pictures were of much larger fish than I have seen there for several years. I know my grandfather used to catch a lot of 4 pounders up there.

By the way, the soda water mixed with vodka and lime used to be called a Humbug Mudler. Not a bad mix....
    Mike Monahan

I have heard some reports and seen pictures from oldtimers from Yellow Creek. The seem to indicate that the fishing was significantly better when grazing was allowed. I don't know if this is true or not, but the old pictures were of much larger fish than I have seen there for several years. I know my grandfather used to catch a lot of 4 pounders up there.

By the way, the soda water mixed with vodka and lime used to be called a Humbug Mudler. Not a bad mix....
    Mike Monahan

Mike Monahan