Thread: beantastic

Default beantastic

Prior to the mako trip we were chasing corbina. Found some great structure and my friend was able to land three total. 2 on Saturday and 1 on Sunday. Corbina fishing will drive you mad, but the right conditions make it doable. Here's the post.

Hey Guys,
    I've been playing host to a buddy from up north trying out the salt down here. We normally fish for steelhead up north and he's the culprit that got me into this addiction we call flyfishing.
    He's been having fun with the perch, sharks, etc. that we have down here. This stuff is alot harder to come by up north, and I think he was a little surprised how good we have it down here.
    Granted, they have it hands down where trout/steelhead/salmon/stripers are concerned.
    It is a definite change from fishing in snow for the winter run.
    Today I was able to return the favor for getting me into this madness, by getting him into a couple beans to hand and a few more missed. Granted, I just locate the spot and the rest is all him. He's ruined now for sure. lol.
    Both fish on a merkin. I dropped a bunch on a size 8 razzler and white over red clouser. Just couldn't stick em this time.
    -Paul

Bean on a permit fly

One of B's Beans

Bean Closup

Bean Bendo

How big do corbina get? when in belize I was walking down the beach and saw a guy gutting a fish I asked what it was, he said corbina. It must have been 10 + lbs
    Dusty Revel
    "I can hear the salmon fish saying - I'll be back!"

Arnold Schwazenegger, Governor of California, at Klamath Basin Restoration Agreement Signing, February 18, 2010

I forget what the records on fly are but more are from Doug U. down south fishing Los Alimitos in long beach. 28" is a big boy.
    Eating them frequently may not be a good idea as a large fish like you mentioned is probably 15 years old and feeds on crustaceans (aka toxin traps). Most fish we get down here are in the 18" to 28" range.
    -Paul

Default Corbina or Corvina????

Dustin,.... Could the cleaner of that fish have said Corvina in answer to your question??? Corvina grow much larger than Corbina.... Altho, they appear to be from the same family of fishes....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Darian,
    I googled both and i think you are right it was probably a corvina. the guy had a pretty thick accent. When I saw the fish i thought it looked alot like a red fish but knew it wasn't.
    Dusty

Arnold Schwazenegger, Governor of California, at Klamath Basin Restoration Agreement Signing, February 18, 2010

Hey Guys,
    B and V are the same in spanish? My dad saw corvina in the market and thought that was the same we're catching down here. Common confusion I think.
    Corbina are pretty much the hardest thing we have surf wise down here.
    Definitely worth trying if you ever make it down south in the May-July timeframe.
    -Paul

i'll be down in long beach in early august for the national casting tournament. how is the fishing in that time frame?
    Dusty

Dusty,

Call me. I will get you setup with either Doug Uyematsu or Joe Libeu for fishing the LB area. They will probably both be at LBCC. Doug is the go to person for the Corbina. See www.garybulla.com/duifly.htm
    Guy Manning
    FFF Master Certified Casting Instructor
    FFFCCI Yahoo Group Moderator
    www.castflys.com

Grhen is on the money. Either of those guys know that locale well. Different style of fishing in the bays but difficult none-the-less.
    -Paul