Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: you mako my day

Default you mako my day

Hey Guys,
    Here's a cut and past from my post on the bulla board. I was playing host to a steelhead/trout/striper buddy from the bay area this past 5 days.
    He had 7 new species on the fly and is probably ruined forever. lol.
    Here's the mako report. I'll post a corbina report next.

To round out exposure to the saltwater species down here, I decided to take Brendon on a Mako trip in San Diego with Capt. Dave of Bowman Bluewater.
    We showed up and the wind was already up and things looked really sloppy.
    Dave gave us an option to back out, but there was no way we were not going to at least give it a shot.
    We loaded up the boat with smaller rods for inshore and used the guides 16wt for the sharks.
    He had a really nice 25ft boat that made the ride in rough water a bit wet but manageable.
    After cruising to his spot, we set up a slick and essentially sat and waited while the boat drifted.
    Luckily, the wind died down for us and the rocking of the boat was a bit more manageable.
    45 minutes later the first Mako and a small blue showed up.
    Soon later a couple more Makos showed up.
    The routine was basically bait and switch using Mackerel teasers.
    Shark chases the teaser and its pulled with a large 6/0 fly thrown in its place.
    I hooked the first one which just ran on me...no jumping or walking.
    It took a while to land on a smaller 13 wt. We boated that fish and brendon was up.
    A 150lb fish was milling around, so that was next on the 16wt.
    Brendon hooked that guy also and he too just ran...no jumping. Took a while to get that guy to the boat.
    The next 10 fish or so were various scenarios of jumpers going totally nuts and were almost impossible to keep on.
    One ran right at the boat tail walking into the side of the boat.
    Brendon totally had the fish under control and then total mahem ensued.
    We actually have video where everyone is scattering when the fish ran straight at us halfway out of the water.
    Another flipped on the line breaking off in the 80lb butt section.
    Others would pop off right after the take and running right at you.
    The last one was a 225 lber that was milling around the boat for about 3 hours periodically chomping on the boat.
    I missed two takes where he threw the fly.
    The third take was the money take right in the corner of the mouth.
    2 tailwalks and 3 double backflips later, he was off.
    We actually got some excellent video footage of this stuff which i'll be compiling all day. Takes...missed takes, etc.
    Description by words and pictures doesn't do the fish justice.
    Sight casting to these beasts milling around was unbelievable.
    It was hard to fight intuition to set early when you see the mouth open up.
    Also fun with mackerel busting anchovies and squid at the surface.
    Catching bait on the 9wt rod was fun.
    Brendon also caught one of the blue sharks to get him away from the boat
    Dave was saying this was his best day so far this season.
    I think we just lucked out and used some of our good karma up on this one.
    Here's a few pictures....I'll see about getting this video online.
    We have quite a bit of it and i'm a novice editor so I imagine it will take me till the evening to compile it in a reduced format.
    Overall this trip was a good one I think. Total of 7 new species on the fly for my friend and he's now way stoked on saltwater.
    -Paul

Mako Release

Brendon on one

MBGS (Mako Be Good Stick)

Getting Hungry

Default pi

Hey Paul,.... Great trip.!!! I sure want to see more of your photo's. What a bunch of brutes!!!....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Hey Darian,
    Definitely a fun fish on the flyrod. I think my buddy is ruined now with saltwater madness. I am wading through alot of video but we have some really cool clips of takes, runs, jumps, the whole deal. Hopefully will have something up on the bulla board tonight. I'll post a link when we do. Photos just don't do those fish justice. The video of the 225 lber doing 3 double backflips is amazing. Didn't get it to the boat but just seeing that was worth the price of admission. lol.
    -Paul

Kind of puts a different perspective on fly fishing for bluegills. . . .
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Can you post some info on the Guide service you used, or a link. I have family in SD and would love to try to set something up with the Mako.

Is there a specific time of summer that is better than others?

I used to work on an overnight Albicore boat down there and the sharks bugged us all summer.

Thanks for any info.

Kraig
    "The only time we're guaranteed, is the time we've already had. So make the most of every day!"

I found their webpage. Bowman Bluewater...... Not too tough!

Kraig
    "The only time we're guaranteed, is the time we've already had. So make the most of every day!"

Hey Kraig,
    We went out with Dave Trimble of Bowman Bluewaters.
    Good guy, nice boat/rods/reels/flies. I don't think out experience out there was the norm, but even one of those beasts is a blast.
    http://www.bowmanbluewater.com/info.htm
    They have links that show when a certain species is going off.
    -Paul

Thanks!!

Man, I want some of that action!

Kraig

Great report and thanks for sharing. I hope you can post some of that video here.
    Brian

I'm assuming that the fly fishing equipment belonged to the guide. I don't know too many people who have a 16 weight in the closet. Great trip. Awesome report. Videos please!
    Capt. JerryInLodi
    www.DeltaStripers.Com