Thread: first flyfishing in salt adventure w/pics

Default first flyfishing in salt adventure w/pics

We got back from belize yesterday morning now that i'm well rested and have gathered my thoughts here is the trip summary
    the first day we spent walking the beaches starting at our room at Paradise villas which is on the north side of town to beyond the south side of town. on the way back I noticed a house/office that said omar's freelance tours I recognuzed the name from someone who recomended him to me so I stopped by and we booked a reef fishing trip for Day 2 with his brother in law nestor
    we caught many species with anchovies on the reef triggerfish several types of snapper, a small grouper, grunts and more

We noticed birds congregating outside the reef So we ventured out of the reef in the flats boat to find many different species feeding on sardinas
    here george caught a barracuda

george also caught a great horse-eyed jack which is not pictured because he cannot hold onto fish
    several other species were hooked but not brought to boat.

Our guide Nestor decided it was time to go back to the safety of the reef as he saw a storm in the distance. not long after we got inside the reef it hit

lunch was extremely good.
    it included lobster caught by our guide the day before.

the barracuda fillets, and stomach contents.

and of course rice and beans.

the next day was another day devoted to exploration and some fishing
    I caugh my first saltwater fish on a fly, I think it is a bar jack. bd pic I know i forgot to change the settings on the camera from the night before

here's a better look at another bar Jack I think

later that day I also caught my first Bonefish i also learned what salt and humidity will do to hair

george's first bonefish was not pictured because he cannot hold on to fish

later that day we fished off of a pier for bones didn't land any but had two break me off as i was trying to stop them before they ran under boats and other piers.
    we also met a local kid who was amazed by fly fishing and wanted to give it a try

he hooked a bonefish but then put the rod down and tried to hand line the fish in

We were scheduled for a deep sea trip with nestor the next day, but the weather did not allow so we did the reef fishing with beach BBQ and half day of snorkelling which was great.

On the way there in the Hol chan marine reserve a school of Great horse eyed jacks as well as nurse sharks were swimming along the boat begging for sardinas

the jacks have incredible eyesight. Nestor would throw a sardina twenty feet and the jacks that were right next to the boat would be there to catch it i tried to trick them by making the arm motion but no followers.

we then went ou on the flats for the last two days both days were overcast, with rain showers and wind, but we still managed a half dozen fish each. we spent the morning of the second day looking for permit, but conditions made it hard to spot fish we did see two maybe three schools but they were fast moving and we never got very close.

here is the biggest bone of the trip

on the second day of flats fishin weather made it extremely hard to spot fish so we moved int deeper water and cast to merky spots.

he finally hung on to one

the most productive fly was a 2/0 chartreuse and white clouser (what can't that fly do?) i tied 4 hours before departing @ 2:00 a.m.

that is the end it went by soooo fast.

I am now going through fanta withdrawals I drank the last one i brought back with me on the airplane today.

Dustin Revel
    "I can hear the salmon fish saying - I'll be back!"

Arnold Schwazenegger, Governor of California, at Klamath Basin Restoration Agreement Signing, February 18, 2010

Dustin, careful, salt water is addicting. Pretty soon the smallest rod you'll own is an eight weight. Some day you'll be out in the garage and come across the bag holding your waders and vest and wonder why you ever needed them in the first place.

Glad to see you're taking lip ripping to a new level.
    Capt. JerryInLodi
    www.DeltaStripers.Com

Default Beliiiiiiizzze.....

That picture of the Bar Jack, all lit up, is beautiful. Saltwater fish from the tropics are really special.... Was happy to see that you made it on the trip after the trials with your passport.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

I don't know Darian, the lobster looked awful good to me! Different art form!
    Capt. JerryInLodi
    www.DeltaStripers.Com

Great report and wonderful photos Dunstin.

Ambergris Cay in Belize is a great place to go for a taste of Belize.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Dustin, that is a GREAT report and just love all the photos! Sounds like you had a fantastic trip.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

I used to know a couple of brothers from Anderson named George and Dusty, but they were much better looking than you two.

Glad you had a fun trip.

Nice report and pics! Hi to george and Andre too!

timb

I used to know a couple of brothers from Anderson named George and Dusty, but they were much better looking than you two.

Glad you had a fun trip.

Nice report and pics! Hi to george and Andre too!

timb

its good to here from you.
    Dusty
    "I can hear the salmon fish saying - I'll be back!"

Arnold Schwazenegger, Governor of California, at Klamath Basin Restoration Agreement Signing, February 18, 2010