Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vests vs Packs and Fly Boxes

Default Vests vs Packs and Fly Boxes

I'd like to hear some opinions on 2 purchases I'm considering:

1. I was in Kiene's the other day trying on Simms vests and Fishpond packs and am having trouble choosing what route to go. My current vest is falling apart, and since I bought it in the early 80s, it's time to retire it. If you were to own only a vest or a pack system, which would you choose and why.

2. I'm also not happy with my cheapy fly boxes and am considering either the X-sytem boxes or C&F boxes. I'm planning on 1 box for nymphs/wets and 1 box for drys. I'll then use my cheapy boxes for steelhead flys and streamers. Are the C&F boxes worth nearly 2x the cost of the X-systems?

Background: I only fly fish sporadically. (Raising a 4 and 6yr old cuts into the free time.) I mostly wade fish for shad and steelhead on the A. I also fish Truckee area streams on occasion.

Thanks,
    Dave

I have a simms vest and its indestructible. I also love the fish pond packs and I am thinking about getting one soon. I like the pack on the back of the Fish Pond. It would be handy because I always carry a snake bite kit, Water filter ,rain parka, flash lite , firestarter and first aid kit , mountain money ( T.P. ) and Lunch . I think they have a water proof pocket or two (?) that I can put my Digital Camera in.

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.c...h_1904_1723093

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.c...h_1904_1776786

Boy, that's a tough one. I own several vests and several packs, and I like and dislike each for different reasons. I like the fact that my favorite vest has a lot of pockets when I'm carrying a bunch of small stuff, compared to the fact that all of my packs don't have as many pockets. My vest typically (but not always) seems less bulky as well, since all my gear is distributed all over it instead of in just a few large pack compartments. My vest also has pockets that seem uniquely designed for certain things I carry, like a pocket for my thermometer and another pocket for my floatant. In cooler weather conditions, my vest is like an extra piece of clothing to keep me warm. Finally, a vest is a very traditional item of equipment, which I kind of like the thought of.

On the other hand, my packs are much cooler in warm weather since they have a much airier (is that a word?) design -- just straps and compartments on a couple of 'em -- and I usually feel less confined in them for the same reason. When I'm not carrying a lot of little crap, I find it easier to find things in the fewer pockets of a pack.

Truth be told, I like 'em both and am happy to wear either depending on the weather and my mood. With that said, I do find myself more often these days striving to go to the water with the least amount of stuff. Thus, you're more likely to see me sporting a small pack these days than my vest. You will also never find me wearing my full-on vest in warm weather -- I'm hot enough already wearing a long sleeve shirt to protect myself from the sun.

I recently bought an Orvis pack that combines a small backpack in the back and typical pack pockets up front -- I'm a sucker for these kinds of things. Remains to be seen whether I violated my own advice -- which is, when I'm shopping for either, I try to avoid the worst of each type -- i.e., a full-on vest with bad pockets and bad neck support or a pack that is heavy, warm, and confining. If you go with a vest, make sure it has pockets that will hold large fly boxes and offers good support in the neck/shoulder area. If you get a pack (other than a lumbar pack), make sure it will hold your most used items on the front side so you don't have to take it off to get to items in the back.

There's an amazing variety of each out there nowadays, so I would make sure to take the time to see what's available. Have fun and good luck!
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

I use the C&F as well as the System X. Both are great, but I'd have to give the nod to the C&F. I think, as the need grows and I add more inserts the the Systems X, it will probably take over however.

Interesting question on the vest vs. pack debate tho'. I am strongly considering going to a fishpond pack so I can carry more stuff (rain jacket, lunch, emergency gear, etc...). I am concerned about the extra bulk and am curious what other have to say as well.
    “To me the indescribable sense of anticipation and mystery in simply going fishing is almost half the fun.” - Robert Traver

Packs and vest are very personal and hard to choose. I fish with a vest at all times. I have gotten so used to where everything is that I would go crazy if I switched now. I wear the Simms mesh vest, it keeps me cool in the heat because of the air ventilating through all of that mesh. Simms now makes a mesh Freestone vest, very nice!, give it a look.

As far as the boxes go....the System X boxes are great for a $20 box but the micro-slit foam in the C&F boxes are the best ever. I use the multi-leaf style of the C&F boxes. I LOVE them! I own three C&F boxes, two file type boxes and one of the threader style for my midges (which I hardly ever use but makes it easy to thread those small midges onto the hook.)

If you plan on fishing a fair amount get the C&F boxes. You'll be glad you did.

Check out how easy and nice it is to seoperate your flies. The micro slits are great.

These boxes are awesome!
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

I also love my C & F design box I have the small one with the swing leaf, it is great for nymphs, but not so great for dry flies unless they are really small. The reason is if there is a wing or post on your mayfly patterns they will be crushed. I love how compact it is and I have had no problems with flies falling out of the slots.
    Dustin Revel
    "I can hear the salmon fish saying - I'll be back!"

Arnold Schwazenegger, Governor of California, at Klamath Basin Restoration Agreement Signing, February 18, 2010

I also love my C & F design box I have the small one with the swing leaf, it is great for nymphs, but not so great for dry flies unless they are really small. The reason is if there is a wing or post on your mayfly patterns they will be crushed. I love how compact it is and I have had no problems with flies falling out of the slots.
    Dustin Revel
    "I can hear the salmon fish saying - I'll be back!"

Arnold Schwazenegger, Governor of California, at Klamath Basin Restoration Agreement Signing, February 18, 2010

The C&F box with the swingleaf is definately better for nymphs. I wouldn't recommend the swingleaf box for dries, like Dustin said there's no real room for dry flies, but it's a killer nymph box. You could carry a ton of nymphs in your box.
    Limit Your Kill - Don't Kill Your limit

Adam Grace
    Past Kiene's Staff Member

I'm a believer in the Fishpond packs. I picked up the Wasatch Tech Pack and have permantly retired my Simms vest. The Fishpond has pockets for everything and they are all quickly accessable. The backpack expands for lengthy hike-ins, and as Rob said, it helps to be able to carry cetain things (snakebite kit, moutain money, etc...) without throwing it all in one big pocket. It is surprisingly light for how much it can carry. I especially like the zip down fly box platforms and the hemostat holder. I could see this brand making many of the veteran vest/pack builders either obsolete or having to work harder to compete. I'm notorious for not taking care of my things, and this pack has definitley held up to the abuse...

Hey Adam-
    In your top pic, what is the tool on the hinge???
    I just bought my third C&F, which by the way, I too feel is tops. After looking at the ''directions,'' on the carton in which it came, it looks like the hinge flaps are for replacing foam inserts???
    Did you just throw some random/ magnetic? tool there??
    What is that thing??
    By the way, I ONLY place dries in the C&F, with the lower void I feel it's the safest way to store dries and their tempermental hackles.