Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: American, recycling drop-off??

It's not only the rivers, the beaches get the same treatment. They do have a beach clean up a couple times a year and it's amazing how much junk they collect.
    When I was living in the area, I use to pick up and pack out a couple pieces of litter every trip.
    It's amazing to watch people just drop there trash. Hey, you can have a can 10' from them and they will not make an effort to walk that far. One of the biggest things I see is the shopping carts in the parking lots. There was a person who packed there things in the trunk and then pushed the cart to the planter area and just left it. They were 2 spaces away from the cart drop off, now that's lazy - in my opinion only

Now, I ask all of you a question... When you change leaders or tie on a new tippet.... how many of you discard the small pieces of mono or florocarbon into the water, how many roll it up and put it in you pocket

Jay

SullyTM Guest

Jerry, No offense meant towards the men and women in law enforcement. I just think enforcing littering laws, at least in my home town, is not a priority. If Sacramento area law enforcement agencies have made it a priority I applaud their efforts...Still, bring a garbage bag with you when you'reout fishing or hiking.

Default Discarded Mono....

I had to think about this one for a minute.... I try to carry out what I bring in; whether in a boat, walking or wading. The truth is that if a section of mono is big enougn for me to see, it gets put away for disposal, later. If I cut off a small piece of mono (say trimming the knot) and it hits the deck before I can get it, I probably won't be able to find/see it and it gets discarded.

On occassion, we've all come accross lengthy sections of mono either broken off in the water or along the bank where someone has stripped it off to eliminate tangles, etc. I try to retrieve those and dump 'em. I once took a header into a Blackberry vine from being tripped by a length of heavy mono on the bank of the Feather.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Found this in my e-mail from my other hobby, cycling.

The American River Parkway Foundation needs your help if you spare 3 daylight hours on July 4th.

I can't find the page in their website but they will be passing out trash bags to rafters on July 4th and collecting them downstream. They have about six clean up days scheduled each year. If fishing the American for steelhead, stripers and shad is your thing you might check out this web site and hey, maybe even volunteer.

http://www.arpf.org/index.html
    Capt. JerryInLodi
    www.DeltaStripers.Com

Default Abel's Gimme Five

This is a universal problem everywhere and nothing unique to just our rivers. Steve and Gina Abel started a "Gimme Five" program a while back that is hopefully going to educate a lot of folks and start some newer good habits for all of us that want a cleaner enviroment.

You can read about it at the Abel website or Mid-Current just put out an article about it too.
    TONY