Thread: Day 6, Dorado: Dialing In...

Default Day 6, Dorado: Dialing In...

With little possibility of catching bait in the bay I didn't bother to go out early, instead leaving the harbor about 7:30. I was dissappointed to see the four purse seiners still in the bay, this time working the deeper sections.

With no bait to hold the fish to the boat I thought I'd do some scouting to see if I could find some patties out past the little islets of Santa Inez. As I motored past I saw two pangas with divers working on hookas. I have no clue what they were fishing for, lobster, octopus, scallops? As one diver went over the side I could see a large collection net in his hand but I didn't wait around until he came back up to see what he had collected.

I set a line on the GPS from my position at Santa Inez to the location where I had caught dorado earlier in the week. This line passed through some of the most productive water I had ever fished in the past.

Several miles out I dropped both hoochies and started trolling. I trolled for half an hour with no result so I pulled up, motored another five miles out and dropped the hoochies again. Almost instant hookup. A small female. I brought her close to the boat and hung her out and started casting my fly rod. Nothing. After ten minutes I brought her in. She had the hook in her gills. I wacked her over the head and filleted her on the spot and put the meat in plastic bags on ice.

I started up and not more than five minutes later another hook-up. I reeled the fish in and this time hung it out with a little more distance from the boat. I picked up my fly rod and did a circle of casts with no results. I cast what was supposed to be the last cast and when the fly touched the water, it exploded. A huge male, somewhere between thirty to fourty pounds grabbed the fly and did a 30 yard tail walk, all the time moving away from the boat. Then a series of porpoise jumps causing my fly line to shrink on the reel like a wool sweater in a hot air dryer!

After a postage stamp stop he was off again. I was trying to make up my mind if I should cut the female hung out the stern off and follow or just take my chances. The big bull made up my mind for me. It stopped. I put pressure on. I began gaining line. I reeled in all the backing and was starting on the 200 feet of amnesia when it made another run. This one was shorter. I again got back all the backing and was starting on the amnesia. I was almost to the shooting head when the line went slack. No real surge of pressure first, just a slack line.

I had been wondering how I was going to handle this monster at the boat and now I didn't have to worry. I reeled in and the line felt slightly light. I saw the end of the fly line but no fly. On examination I found about half my 15 pound test maxima with an almost knife cut type break but with a tiny curl. Wind knot! Damn. My fault!

I rigged a new leader and tied on a new fly. I figured the action at this spot was just about over and then caught the sight of three medium sized females on the port side of the boat. I screwed up the first cast in my nervousness and it fell short. A fish darted at it but dashed away at the last second. I made a second cast. A grab but no hookup. I finally got off a decent cast and instantly was hooked up with a six pound female.

The fight was short, fun and I released her in the water. I stripped off ninty feet of flyline into the boat and cast. Perfect. Bang, another ten pound female. A little stronger and she gave me a good fight before being released.

Strip off another ninty feet of line. Cast. Big swirl and a jumping fish. This little girl was probably not more than twelve pounds but she must have had PMS because she was GONE! The 200 feet of amnesia could be seen a hundred yards away. My backing was half gone. She stopped and I started reeling in. The process was slow. Usually dorado tire quickly. Not this little lady. She fought all the way to the boat. I felt bad in that I had to tire her out and hoped she'd live through the stress. She still had good color and was still lit up when I turned the hook out.

I could no longer see fish near the boat. I cast in the direction of my judas fish but nothing. I put the flyrod down and reeled in my accomplice and released her. My watch said a quarter to noon. I could begin the whole routine over again or I could head in.

It had been a perfect day. I figured I'd collected enough memories. I fired up the motor, set the revs at 3500 and pointed towards El Somberito and the harbor. Old skills were coming back.

One of the purse seiners

A dorado with PMS

Capt. JerryInLodi
    www.DeltaStripers.Com

Awesome report!! What weight rod are you using for those?

St. Croix, "Avid" nine foot, ten weight.
    Capt. JerryInLodi
    www.DeltaStripers.Com

Hey Jerry,
    Great report as always. Hope that big bull is out there for you tomorrow.
    -Paul