Thread: Day 4, Sightseeing

Default Day 4, Sightseeing

I went to a fish fry last night and met a couple. They talked like they'd like to go out so I invited them and told them to be ready to go at 5am.

At five, Dan was ready, but his wife, Donna was feeling the effects of the party and elected to stay in bed. Dan said he had wanted to catch an, "El Dorado" all of his life. (He was into cars!) I told him no problemo and we set off.

First for bait. He got a big kick out of catching the mackerel and big eye and we quickly had about thirty baits in the tank.

We headed out into the bay and came across a school of 300 dolphin. I drove the boat carefully alongside and soon we were surrounded by them and Dan took picture after picture.

We broke off and started heading out and I saw three big boils two hundred yards away. We pulled up on them and I cast my nine weight and quickly hooked a small Bonita. Dan was not a fly rodder so I started up the boat and he dropped his hoochie back and quickly had one on the line.

Not being a Bonita fan, two was more than enough for me and we left the boils and continued out and then saw two whales off to our right about 300 yards. I couldn't tell what kind of whale but they were moderate sized, all black, smooth skinned with small dorsals. A herd of sperm whales had been spotted the day before but I think these were too small to be sperm whales and had no white sides as in orca.

The rest of the run out was uneventful. We reached the spot I had marked on the GPS from yesterday and dropped both sets of hoochies. Dan was soon hooked up with a ten pound dorado. He brought the fish up close and hung it in the water and I cast but nothing.

We repeated the above two more times, all of the fish were hooked on Dan's rod. I cast blind and nothing. I would have tossed baits out but there was nothing to toss them to.

After the third fish Dan said he was ready to go in. I looked at him and could see he was looking a little green. No problemo, we headed in but I have to make a quick stop by the point to see if I could get even with Mr. Pargo. Mr. Pargo wasn't home but a giant school of lady fish were. Again, not one of my favorite fish. I caught three and then rigged Dan's conventional rod with a sinker and a big hunk of mackerel. He dropped it down to the rocks and soon had a small trigger fish on the line. He was impressed by the fish's teeth but this fish had a serious overbite and could have seen an orthodontist.

Dan was finished for the day. It was 10am. We headed in. Once on shore Dan couldn't stop talking about what he had seen. He ran to his wife and showed her all the pictures on his digital camera. For me it was a slow day but not a bad one. Not bad at all.
    Capt. JerryInLodi
    www.DeltaStripers.Com

Hey Jerri,
    I'd trade one of your days for a week of mine in the lab. lol.
    Keep the reports coming!
    -Paul

Beat my day of work too!

Katz
    "The only time we're guaranteed, is the time we've already had. So make the most of every day!"