Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Day 3, Striped Marlin, Dorado and First Aid

Default Day 3, Striped Marlin, Dorado and First Aid

I was up extra early and was catching bait by 5:30. I used the green bait light again and quickly had two dozen baits in the well. Then it was an 18 mile, 45 minute run out to where Victor had told me the Dorado were hanging out.

I trolled two hoochies on my conventional tackle for scouting purposes and wasn't in the water for five minutes when I had a double hook up. I reeled the first fish in and then hung the second off the back of the boat and cast my ten weight. First cast, hookup! All three fish were in the ten pound range.

No more fish so I decided to troll a single rod since doubling up was a pain. Ten minutes later the reel was screaming and the line was melting away. Holy horseflies! I turned the boat and gunned it after the fish, not knowing what in the world I had hooked. Suddenly, way off in the distance I saw a huge sailfish jump and I could see the pink and green hoochies shaking from it's mouth.

Thirty five minutes of backbreaking work later I grabbed the bill of what turned out to be a striped marlin of well over 100 pounds. What's the deal? Every day I've hooked something way too big!

I decided not to troll any more. Too much work! Instead I cut my baits into pieces and started a chum line and cast my fly rod after every three or four pieces. I picked up two more Dorado on the fly but both were caught blind, I never saw them until they hit.

By this time Victor was out with two clients. They were gringo spear fishermen, the same from yesterday. Suddenly he called me on the radio and asked me to come over to his boat for an emergency. I motored over and he asked me if I had any first aid equipment. One of the divers had speared a dorado and decided he could subdue it by stabbing it with his knife underwater. Instead he stuck the fish which dashed away and in doing so dragged his knife across his forearm.

I handed over my first aid kit and they butterfly bandaged the wound, put compresses on it and then headed in.

I stayed out another hour but the fish were gone. Still a good day. Three dorado on a fly, two on conventional gear and one huge striped marlin.

I met Victor later for a beer. He said that he had to look all over for a doctor on Father's Day and finally found one. The gringo needed five stitches for the arm.

Here's a picture of the marlin. I'm sorry that it's so poor but it's difficult driving a boat, handling a big fish and taking pictures all by one's self.

Capt. JerryInLodi
    www.DeltaStripers.Com

Thats incredible Jerri! Are you on this trip completely alone? Double kudos for handling a sailfish solo...sheeeesh!

Jay

Seriously. Mano e mano. Right on!
    -Paul

Yes, I'm here solo. My wife was supposed to drive down with me but she found out she had a class to attend. She'll be down on the 27th. I met a couple at a party tonight and will take them out tomorrow for fun. Hope they enjoy themselves.
    Capt. JerryInLodi
    www.DeltaStripers.Com

Jerry, are you kidding me?!? I think it's a fantastic picture! How many would love to be able to say, as you can, "Yeah, here's a picture I took while driving my boat after a sailfish I was fighting. . . ." Very studly, if you ask me.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Default PEZ VELOoooooooh!!!!!!

Kudo's Jerry. Great catch and narrative..... If you're running out so far each day, do you have any problems obtaining fuel

Man!!! Youve got a great trip going already....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

This is starting to feel like looking forward to my favorite fishing show or something.

I see why you have been published!

Great reports!

Thanks.

Katz
    "The only time we're guaranteed, is the time we've already had. So make the most of every day!"

Jerry -

You sure that's a Sail ??? Look at the dorsal fin ..... looks like a nice Striped Marlin to my eyes .

I would sell a kidney to be there w/ ya right now

David

PS - THANK YOU for the reports =D>

Jerry I am also checking your reports like a favorite fishing show. I agree with David your picture looks like a Marlin but I'm far from an expert.

Mark

Default Yes it was a marlin now that I think about it.

You guys are right, thinking about the fish, It actually didn't have a sail on the few jumps it did and while it was all lit up in the water, I didn't actually get that good a look at it until I grabbed its bill to take the hook out. I wanted to release the fish as quickly as possible and didn't really hold on to it and look at it. That explains why it was so damn big and also why its bill was so short.

Well, anyway, I guess I caught a striped marlin and not a sailfish. That's good, at least I've added one more species to my list since I've already cauight sails. Nobody ever said you have to be smart to catch fish!
    Capt. JerryInLodi
    www.DeltaStripers.Com