Thread: Baja, 1st day

Default Baja, 1st day

I hit the water about 6am and started off with a problem. My engine oil light was blinking. I finally figured out that it was nothing more than the signal for the 20 hour check. I found how to reset it and after settling down my churning stomach and fried nerves got to fishing. First I made bait. Lots of fun. Found the bait well worked great.

It was very foggy, yes there is fog in Baja, so I cruised over to the rocks to see if I could spot some roosters. While cruising I decided to get the nine weight out and dropped into idle for a few casts. Big grab on first cast. Big cabrilla. Got into the rock fishing and must have caught at least 25 fish and at least seven different species.

The fog lifted so I headed out and found a very long string of grass and worked it by trolling hoochies but no action. I was still a bundle of nerves over the engine light deal and decided to head back to the rocks for more easy fun. Caught another 15 or so fish, and decided to keep some for dinner. I got slammed by a big pargo and he ended up in the baitwell along with a big cabrilla and something that looked like a red snapper.

It was getting lumpy and the wind had started blowing so I decided to head in. A really great first day even with the damn light.

Now that I've sorted out a few things I get serious tomorrow.

Capt. JerryInLodi
    www.DeltaStripers.Com

Jerry

Great to hear the real time reports from down there. I am green with envy. Are you going to be posting any pictures? We just love pictures!

Jay

Oh yeah! The picture didnt load for me the first time for some reason...I see it now. Very Nice!!!

Default Fog....???? Wind....????

Hey Jerry,.... We had a light fog on our trip to La Paz, too.... Did you see any Roosters at the beach Too bad there wasn't anything at the weed line you found.... Hope the wind dies down for you.

Good luck
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

No roosters this time, maybe tomorrow. Mulege has a real time table so I can look for roosters every day. Here's the pattern.

6-7 make bait.
    After that motor out to blue water or to the points, anywhere between six and twelve miles. I like to look for roosters in the morning since the dorado are usually way out in the morning and come in with the sun. I can either spend a lot of gas and go out 12-14 miles or just wait and they'll come to me. The rock fishing is also exceptional in the mornings. Usually about 10:30 the dorado come within six to eight miles and after six or eight my arms get sore so I quit. I used to try and break the twenty mark every day but it's too tiring. I'll usually swing by one of the points on the way in and get in a few more casts to whatever might be there.

I'm off the water about three.

The wind wasn't that bad today but on the first day, after a long drive and the confusion about the oil light blinking I was just satisfied with ripping the lips of as many different kinds of fish that I could hook.

Like I said, tomorrow I'll get serious.
    Capt. JerryInLodi
    www.DeltaStripers.Com

You make it like being there. Thanks.

Is it true you pay extra when bringing your own boat (license, etc)?

Could you throw in a pic of the boat, or give some details. Sounds like you are set up very well?

Thanks,

Katz
    "The only time we're guaranteed, is the time we've already had. So make the most of every day!"

Left to right are ....
    Barred Pargo , Leopard Grouper , Yellowtail Snapper .

ANY Barred Pargo on a fly is a good thing .........

Good on yer , Mate !!

David

Default Yellow Tailed Snapper

Hey David,

That's it, the yellow tailed snapper that Darian, Jay, and Renee ate fried whole at the Bismark one night when we went to dinner. They called it "Guananacho" ??? or something like that.

Just thought I'd get Darian going on food again since he got past the trots.
    TONY

Like Jbird I'm green with envey but sure enjoy your reports. Keep up the good work.

Mark

Tony,

What's it called again The fish was called "huachnango frito w/garlic"
    Gotta love it. I almost though about bringing home a shad and cooking it the same way. But I guess it would be like cooking up a "Skippie" and callling it dorado.

I can't wait to get back

How's the fishing going on the feather? Send me a email regarding the fishing. I might have to book a day

Jay