Thread: Rigging up for Baja

Default Rigging up for Baja

I made it to Mulege in record time, 22 1/2 driving hours. The road was the absolute best I have ever seen it and if compared to I-5, narrower but in better shape!

Tomorrow is my first fishing day. I rigged my rods tonight. It was good to work with line I can see and flies that weigh like lures.

I don't believe in tapered leaders for big saltwater flies. You can't convince me thatl a foot and a half of 25 pound line tapered down to 15 will help to turn a 1/2 ounce fly over.

Rod #1 - 12 weight floating line, six foot 15 pound maxima leader, 18 inch 40 pound florocarbon bite leader, sliding popper with lefty's deciever tucked in behind. (for dorado and roosters)

Rod #2 - 10 weight LC 13, six foot 15 pound maxima, 18 inches 40 pound florocarbon, sardina colored 2/0 clouser (for dorado and roosters)

Rod #3 - 9 weight, TC 14, six foot 15 pound maxima, 1/0 chartruse clouser for rock fishing.

Rod #4 - 8 weight, TC 8, six foot 12 maxima leader, #2 bonefish type fly for rock fishing.

Rod #5 - Conventional Ugly Stick and Penn Star Drag for catching bait

Rod #6 - Conventional Ugly Stick and Penn Star Drag for trolling a hoochie for scouting.

Time to go to bed, I like to be on the water at 4:30.
    Capt. JerryInLodi
    www.DeltaStripers.Com

Good luck! Anxiously awaiting your report!

Katz
    "The only time we're guaranteed, is the time we've already had. So make the most of every day!"