Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BAJAaaaaaaah ! Everything

Default BAJAaaaaaaah ! Everything

Just to keep Darian's post rolling, let me tell you almost everything was biting. Thanks to some great pangaros, plenty of good bait, and Jay as a great host and instructor my wife and I had a fantastic trip.

This was my first trip here so learning some of the nuances from Jay was easy and we settled in to a regular routine quickly.

Each day would start out with gathering or buying bait ($20/load) to start out. We'd head to whatever our first fish of choice would be (bonita,dorado,or roosters) and start seaching for signs. The pangaro would toss a few sardina on the surface and almost immediately the water would come alive with boiling and splashing fish chasing the tossed bait. A quick cast into the boils and a hookup was almost immediate. If it's dorado then a quick air show follows with lots fast action everywhere. If it's bonita (skipjack) then it's an equally fast down and dirty battle with a fish that has more stamina than any other fish alive. Diving straight down, no amount of pressure can stop that first run on these little tuna.

We'd move throughout the day targeting different species as we went but expecting anything to come up and chase the sardina. If we were close to shore at Isla Cerralvo we'd pickup ladyfish and jacks galore with needlefish and trumpetfish thrown in as well. If we were offshore a bit bigger things came to look. We had marlin come and eat our bait, but no flies. We had several sailfish come and eat numerous times, but again no flies.
    Not to complain, there were still more and more dorado everywhere we went and never ending skippies.

Over all a really great trip that my wife and I'll look forward to again for years to come. Maybe next year Darian and I will let the girls fish together and we can share a day or two doing the same.

As for fish stories, the girls have that all tied up. Both broke rods putting max pressure on some serious fish, both had landed some of the biggest fish of their lives, and both have memories to last a lifetime.

Looking forward to next year. Enjoy the pics and bring your wifes,
    TONY

Thanks for the great report and wonderful photos Tony.

Looks like Jay has a great thing going on down there.

Anyone who wants to go next summer better get a spot booked soon.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Wow

What a wonderful trip/story/pictures! That last photo....WOW! The colors just jump right out.

Jay

wow that looks like fun, i'd love to do that. great pics.
    Dusty revel
    "I can hear the salmon fish saying - I'll be back!"

Arnold Schwazenegger, Governor of California, at Klamath Basin Restoration Agreement Signing, February 18, 2010

Tony
    It looks like you guys had a great trip.Nice job

Default Fishin'!!!....

Hey Tony,.... I think this trip created an addict. Renee is talking about buying a 10 weight rod/reel, etc....

If we lt the lady's fish together, how many rods would we need down there
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Man Darian, sounds like you and Tony and company had an EPIC trip!! Tony, love the pics!!
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

Hey Tony,

Great story, but you left one thing out.... Kim's fish. For those of you out there reading the post, the big dorado shown with Tony, Kim and Ramon is a dorado caught by Kim. And I think the other one was Kim's first dorado. But anyway, I think the gals deserve to catch big fish.
    I should be getting my slides back on Wednesday. I'm having 41 rolls developed and I hope I took one of Kim and the dorado by herself. If so, I'm going to submit the photo to a couple of magazines hopefully for a cover shot.

I will be sending out fliers for my 2007 dates within the next couple months. I've been getting alot of emails regarding the dates. Our Baja Inshore clinic is already half full.. I think it's the best value going for the buck.

Jay

Oh yeah, a new digital

Default Thank You Again Jay

Yes, Thank you again for reminding me about Kim's big one. She's still on a high and reminds several times a day that she caught the BIG one :P She really earned that fish too.

This really was a great trip for all of us and anyone wishing to head down that way should contact Jay or Fishabout about booking a trip for next year.
    TONY

Nice Job Tony! Well done.
    Cheers, Ken
    PS: For all you board folks....we already have all our 2007 dates scheduled on the books. Our clinic is pretty full. Anyone interested should contact Jay "now." Get on the wiatlist if necessary.
    Love the challenge...What try? No try. Just do!