Thread: Texas fishing

Brett Guest

Default Texas fishing

Jason Hartwick and I fished with Scott Graham at POC, TX on Wednesday. Hoping for the "Graham Slam" - tarpon, jacks, and reds. Got 2 out of 3 - no tarpon. Lots of shots at tailing reds, and a few schools of jacks were running through the bay. They make a big ruckus, and fun to chase. We chased a couple of schools for a quarter mile before they bailed. Get in front of them, make a few casts, hookup or not, and chase them again. First school eluded me - I was in the basket "farming" them. Second school, I hooked up, set the hook, and the fly line broke! Scott retied the leader, and we kept an eye out for more schools. Saw some big explosions near a rig, along with birds working, and went to investigate. Jason had conventional gear, and he hooked up right away. His fish ran with the group, and I finally hooked up on the fly! Both fish decided to go different directions, but no problem, I was using a 12#, and Jason had some beefy spinning gear. Jason landed most of his fish - shark got the rest. I beat the sharks, and was able to land all of my jack. He was about 25# on the boga. What a hoot!

Great report and pictures. Those are some really nice Jacks

Mark