Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caples Lake

Default Caples Lake

I fished Caples Lake both Sunday and today. On sunday, i landed one 18 inch brown and had about four more chases/hits.
    I hooked into one that was at least 25 inches, but he was facing me when i set the hook, so it pulled straight out and just
    nicked him for a couple of seconds. Because of the prospect of more big fish from Caples Lake, i went back this morning.
    I landed two, about a 20" brown, and a 22" rainbow. They both took an olive wooly booger, and they were both in great
    shape, especially the rainbow. She had a huge belly, eggs maybe? Whatever was in her belly she took me for a ride.

Here are pictures of the fish from today, and one picture from this morning off of Highway 88.

Nice fish! Looks like you need a bigger net!
    Don C.

Wow, great looking fish. It's about time something started happenin' up there. What part of Caples were you at, or how close to the dam were you.
    "If you don't where you're going, any road will take you there."

Silver Lake near by is another good fly fishing lake on hwy 88.

It is time to get out that float tube or pontoon boat and hit the lakes while the fish are on top.

Those are a couple of "studely looking trout".

Yahoooooooo
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Ben, I'll buy you a bag of tater tots if you tell me where you got those... same area as where I saw you last year? I'm goin' Sunday I think, call me if you want to meet or car pool.
    Steve

I was fishing the southeast side, the opposite side of the damn. There is a parking area (it is still closed) and a trail that
    go down to the first inlet at Woods Creek. I just fished from there all the way to where emigrant creek comes in on the
    south side of the lake. Quite a hike, but it was worth it. Both fish were just cruising the edge too.

Steve, good luck, and if you go on sunday, be prepared for some wind. it is suppose to be 10-20 mph. I have to get
    prepared for my Montana trip, so i probobly wont hit caples until the end of summer and fall.

I grew up fishing Silver, Caples, and Red lake with my family during the summer. At the time I didn't know anything about fly fishing, so I've never really tried to fly fish these lakes. Do you fly fish from the shore on Caples? I will be up there for a week this July and was wondering what patterns would be good. Thanks a bunch and nice fish!
    Mario Dinucci

Well, I haven't had much success fishin' Caples whether it is using flies or casting out spinners and crawlers when my grandpa gets bored and I have to do his fishin' for him. I am very observant though and every time I'm there I notice a bunch of hoppers along the shore line and as anybody can tell you, it does get windy up there so I'd just look and see if there is any happless critter that could easily get blown into the lake and end up as a meal for a hungry trout. What I'm trying to say is try using some terrestrial patterns. Good luck on your trip.
    "If you don't where you're going, any road will take you there."

Default Silver lake

I guess Silver Lake has iced-out? Do you know how longs it's been open if indeed it is?

Tracy
    When all else fails, put down the pole and swim with the dog.

Silver Lake has been open since at least the 20th of May. We drove by it coming back from Indian Creek Reservoir.