Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Checking out the Yuba

Default Checking out the Yuba

Decided to see what was going on at the river "Y" today. Fished from 9:30 till 1:30. Fished the river left side below the bridge and found some pretty nice water. Too bad there weren't any bugs around to get the fish excited. Did manage to get a couple on a Carpet emerger and had another smack a Olive Zonker that didn't stick. Water felt great wet wading with the warm temperatures. Not exactly a banner day but well worth while. As you can probably tell it's been slim pickings for this old fart.

Here's a photo of the first fish, a nice 18"er.

Ya don't know, if ya don't go!

mike

SullyTM Guest

Nice catch, Mike. What size Zonker? Wet wading for a few hours sure sounds nice

Later. Thom

I think it's a #6 2X long Thom, I got the fly from Jason. I've also got a few in the past using a natural Zonker with a silver body. I usually don't fish subsurface on the "Y" but with nothing happening upstairs it was the only way I could get hit today.

mike

Mike

That is a really robust fish! Nice going. Dont you love the song on the drag of those loomis reels. I have one for my 5wt outfit and I always let out a little "mmmmmmmmmm " When a fish rips it at mach speed.

Jay

Yea Jay they do have a unique sound. The fish pictured kind of just slugged it out with a couple of whines from the reel, the smaller fish, maybe 14" really got some noise out of the reel. I was impressed with the fighting quality of the fish I got. The fish I have gotten on the "Y" in the last year seemed to be quite sluggish and not very well proportioned. The fish today looked very healthy.

mike

On many smaller Sierra trout streams that would be a life time fish.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Mike, that is a really pretty fish! Darn good size too. Good for you, sounds like you had nice day on the water.
    -- Mike

Chuck Norris has already been to Mars; that's why there are no signs of life.

awesome looking fish, just about what a perfect rainbow trout would look like.

Any mayfly activity at all happening on the Y? Caddis?

Curious about what a carpet emerger is?

Great report MSP

-MK

Is that one of the Venture series?? I have two of the 7's.

Jeff
    "Did you catch anything".........."No, did you"........

"Hey man, mind if I fish here?"....."Yes"...."Thanks man!"
    grgoding@yahoo.com

Mark, I didn't see any bug activity at all. I usually only fish dries on the "Y" and gave them a try for a while but only managed to get a couple of 5" fish to come up on a hopper. Didn't even get a look on a BWO or Caddis. A carpet emerger is just my name for a soft hackle with a yarn type wing. Nothing special. It did have a bead though. Might be some surface action towards evening but I haven't stayed late enough to find out. Maybe someone who has fished it late might give us some info!

Yea Jeff it is a Venture series reel. It is actually my wife's but I was too lazy to swap my Marryat from my 5 wt. Only problem I've seen with it is after laying it in the water it takes a while for the drag to come back to life. Not really an issue, nice reel.

mike